Menu

Winning with Writing (from GWG)

I am considering it for my rising 9th and 10th graders, probably the 7th and/or 8th grade levels. Honestly, when I looked at the samples, my first thought was, "where have you been all my life." It looks clean, simple to use, straightforward. Formulaic? Yes, but that's how I learned to write, and all through college I was complemented by my professors on my writing.

Altogether, I'm considering WWW, Jensen's Format Writing, and teaching writing across the curriculum the WTM way.

My dc for whom I am considering this have had little writing instruction. I did WWE with the hardback book with them, and they did a lot of copywork through the middle grade years. This year they have been working in Wordsmith, and there has been a big improvement in their writing, but that is a creative writing program, not academic writing.

I think that WWW just might be what we need to get us up to speed with the academic writing...so that's what I see when I look at the scope & sequence of WWW. Hopefully, I'm getting my act together a little more for my younger two dc and they will not need WWW or will do it sooner than high school. :001_smile:

As a plus, my dd14 loves GWG, so I think that WWW might work for her as well.

She was very helpful and encouraging. She also said that since there is a lot of writing, it would be fine for a 9th grader. I am going to buy the Level 7 book for my rising freshman. I also had the same thoughts ("Where have you been all my life?") It does look very straight forward.

I like the looks of the TOC for the 2nd semester of level 8. I already ordered level 2 for my ds. Hmmmm....might be placing another order. I didn't even think of using it for high schoolers. :tongue_smilie: Thanks for this thread!!

• 1 month later...

Are any of you still going to use this with your highschoolers?

I was considering using Level 8 with my 11th grader and then Jensen's her Senior year.

Level 5 with my 8th grader progressing thru all levels, Jensens her Senior year.

Neither one has had any formal writing curriculum, coming out of public school

What do you think?

I'm not, but only due to time constraints. I've decided to do a grammar and writing intensive with my dc during August, doing as much as we can of Jensen's Format Writing. Then, they'll practice what they've learned through the year across the curriculum.

I have the books ordered and I think it looks perfect. I will know more when I dig in and start.

I ordered level 6 for my 8th grader, I am hoping it's a good fit and we can use thru levels 8 till 10th grade.

My 11th grader is still up in the air though. PTIW looks a bit intense and too structured for her. She is very creative and I think maybe just using the Write Source handbooks or Cut the Deck may work better for her

I may have asked this before, but can you start with PTIW 2 and skip Level 1, if you child is already good with paragraphs?

This is the response I received when I emailed them that exact question....

Dear Ann-Marie,

Thanks for your interest in our materials. To answer your question, if your student has a strong mastery of paragraph writing, Level 2 should be fine. This means that the paragraphs usually do not go off topic, the transitions are very clear, and that supporting material is fully explained. The Level 2 text does begin with a very brief review of paragraphs. However, the review is not in-depth enough to lead a student to paragraph mastery.

If you would like me to, I would be happy to look at a few samples of your student's work and give you some advice as to placement. Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Warmly,

Shari Barrett

www.barrettsbookshelf.com