Menu

Wrong School Code on SAT??

Sigh. My ds informs me that the teacher in his group of SAT test-takers insisted that he put the public school code on his form instead of his homeschool code. We are signed up to get his results online when they become available. Does anyone know if this wrong code really matters for us?

Thanks, hive!

It just means that the school will get the benefit of your ds's scores in their cumulative totals. It doesn't have any effect on your ds. You will still get the scores sent directly to you, and you will see them online in the normal fashion. You don't need to worry. :001_smile:

It just means that the school will get the benefit of your ds's scores in their cumulative totals. It doesn't have any effect on your ds. You will still get the scores sent directly to you, and you will see them online in the normal fashion. You don't need to worry. :001_smile:

I wonder if the teacher thought a homeschoolers scores would look good for the school? :D

I just checked with the College Board and they said that scores would be online June 23 and test books send out after July 1. The code was for the test center. The school does get the benefit of the home school scores. My dd was so relieved when it was over!!

This might actually work to your son's advantage. I listened to Jim Stobaugh give a talk last year at the homeschool convention (he grades the writing section of the SAT). He said that colleges actually compare your your child's score to others in the same school code that you put on those tests. He encourages kids to put the school code on their test, rather than the homeschool code (as he believes homeschoolers score better than public school kids). That way your child is being compared to public school kids, and NOT other homeschoolers (although I am sure they are compared to other applicants at a given college). Stobaugh said that while they do look at individual scores, colleges also consider the average scores of the local high schools (so a score of 1500 might be above average in one district and below average in another). Just a thought :D.

I listened to Jim Stobaugh give a talk last year at the homeschool convention (he grades the writing section of the SAT). He said that colleges actually compare your your child's score to others in the same school code that you put on those tests.

Has anyone else heard this from admissions folks? I can understand that admissions offices will look at cumulative school scores when evaluating a prospective student, but I have trouble believing that our homeschoolers' scores would be evaluated relative to a local high school.

Edited by Brigid in NC

Has anyone else heard this from admissions folks? I can understand that admissions offices will look at cumulative school scores when evaluating a prospective student, but I have trouble believing that our homeschoolers' scores would be evaluated relative to a local high school.

I believe he only meant this was the case if your child put the school code on the test. If the homeschool code is used, they are compared to other homeschoolers. I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense, but I think the schools are trying to account for differences in quality of education across the country. A score in one county might be consisdered average for THAT county, but stellar for another. I think colleges use this to get a better idea of the applicant pool and individual applicants. It really might work to your child"s advantage. However, you can always put the homeschool code on the test, and they will just be compared to other homeschoolers. Now, of course, I am just repeating what was said at the conference, and I am no expert on this by any means. But I think it is very interesting :D.