Menu

Alternatives to WWE3/FLL3 for writing/grammar?

Sahamamama

I'll try to find that thread, thanks!

Oh, sorry, it's right here. The thread starts by talking about Rod and Staff products in general, but most of the posts are in praise of the grammar curriculum, which seems by far to be their most popular offering. It's certainly the only product of theirs that I'm using!

Another thread on the forum talks about how it does diagramming, which reinforces what I learned from one of the reviews that tipped me toward the program when I was researching it.

Edited by morosophe

Well, as has been discussed in another thread today, a lot of people (myself included) really like Rod and Staff's grammar series. The third grade level should be fine to start in.

Does R & S English 2 (or 3? not sure which level we'll need by the next school year) have sufficient writing instruction/practice, or does it work best as a grammar program alongside another writing program? (Note: I have English 2 in my cart! I just haven't clicked on "Proceed to Checkout" yet. LOL.) :lol:

For a strong, verbal 2nd grader who writes easily, reads at a high level, and enjoys grammar (and will have completed FLL 1 & 2), would you start with R & S English 2 or 3?

Is R & S Reading 2 a good series? I like the look of that, too. Hmmmm....

Does R & S English 2 (or 3? not sure which level we'll need by the next school year) have sufficient writing instruction/practice, or does it work best as a grammar program alongside another writing program? (Note: I have English 2 in my cart! I just haven't clicked on "Proceed to Checkout" yet. LOL.) :lol:

For a strong, verbal 2nd grader who writes easily, reads at a high level, and enjoys grammar (and will have completed FLL 1 & 2), would you start with R & S English 2 or 3?

Is R & S Reading 2 a good series? I like the look of that, too. Hmmmm....

I have Grammar 2, not 3 yet, and that's all the Rod & Staff I have, so I hope somebody else will chime in here with answers for you.

That being said, I'm doing more writing than this program involves, and my son hates writing. This is very strong at grammar, but, since your daughter is such an eager author/poetess, you'll probably still want to keep looking for composition help. Sorry!

Fwiw, I have R&S4 and it looks very similar to the vintage grammar-and-composition books like Sheldon's PLL, Maxwell's series and Swinton's books, except that it teaches diagramming.

If Rod and Staff doesn't impress you, you might want to look at Growing with Grammar. It has review in every lesson, covers diagramming/writing (though not a lot of writing) and is secular. I like it more than Rod and Staff bc it doesn't have a cluttered page and is not overwhelming to my younger kids.

If Rod and Staff doesn't impress you, you might want to look at Growing with Grammar. It has review in every lesson, covers diagramming/writing (though not a lot of writing) and is secular.

:iagree: I was going to recommend GWG, but I wasn't sure if you wanted a secular curriculum. If you look at those vintage composition books and decide to use one of them, you can add in GWG for pure grammar and diagramming.

Also, BTW, I wanted to add that for creative writing (or just something different from WWE,) you can look at Write Source and Write Shop Primary.

HTH

Check the samples for 2 and 3. I think if you've done FLL2, R&S2 might be a bit boring, at least in the first few units. I have R&S2, 3, and 4, as well as FLL1 and 2. We'll be using R&S 3 at a relaxed pace for second grade - 3 days per week. To finish it in a 36 week school year you'd need to do 4 days per week. The upper levels ramp up in difficulty quite a bit, so I'm taking it a bit slower while it's easier.

The writing instruction is very age appropriate, meaning that if you are wanting a lot of assigned creative writing, you'll need to supplement with another program. It has good writing instruction in general.

There is tons of diagramming in FLL3 and 4. My son is a WIZARD at diagraming. We just finished level 4. He has learned to diagram all parts of speech, including prep. phrases acting as adjectives or adverbs, interjections, direct address and introductory elements. If you want a solid grammar program teaching how to diagram-this meets that need.

We used WWE but now are switching to Rod and Staff in 5th.

There is tons of diagramming in FLL3 and 4. My son is a WIZARD at diagraming. We just finished level 4. He has learned to diagram all parts of speech, including prep. phrases acting as adjectives or adverbs, interjections, direct address and introductory elements. If you want a solid grammar program teaching how to diagram-this meets that need.

We used WWE but now are switching to Rod and Staff in 5th.

Thank you for this advice. After going all around in circles, I decided to go with FLL 3, after all. ;) My daughter really enjoys doing grammar, and has never had one complaint about FLL 1 & 2. In a way, I think she would miss it. :) But I wanted MORE grammar for her for 2nd grade, to make it a central, core subject. Rod & Staff English 2 or 3 looks great to me, I just have to decide which level. Probably 3, because she's a strong student in English. I think R & S will be so good for her next year, even if it is a bit challenging. She does so much better if her work is fairly challenging.

For Writing we will do WTM-style copywork (our own selections, 4x/week) and WTM-style narrations (only 2/week, though). I don't want to overload her with narrations, because we're doing the Memoria Press Literature Guides (4 of them) for Reading, and they have some summarizing and more writing. We're also doing a lot for Bible next year.

For Writing we will try a homemade "Topic Folder" method. We'll choose 18 topics, set up 18 file folders, and work for two weeks on each assignment:

Day 1 -- read/research the topic & put a drawing or photo on the cover

Day 2 -- make a word bank & discuss word meanings

Day 3 -- write a keyword outline, choose a title, choose a genre

Day 4 -- write the first draft (in pen, no erasing)

Day 5 -- meet with editor (me) for first edit (red ink!)

Day 6 -- write the second draft (if needed) & meet for second edit

Day 7 -- write the final copy & assemble your folder

Day 8 -- present your writing orally to our class ;)

I may be totally off-base with this, but I think she will truly love it.

But then, today :toetap05: I read that post about Winning with Writing, and that got me started going in circles again.... :willy_nilly:

Fwiw, I have R&S4 and it looks very similar to the vintage grammar-and-composition books like Sheldon's PLL, Maxwell's series and Swinton's books, except that it teaches diagramming.

I was just checking samples last week and during the weekend and thinking the same thing. I had not considered R&S, mostly because I was looking for a secular program but am keeping them in mind now if Shurley does not work out for us or as an add-on for the summer and off years when we are not using Shurley. You always see such good reviews about R&S I figured I would take a look. While I am happy with our other LA selections so far, grammar I have been uneasy with.

Thank you for this thread :).

You always see such good reviews about R&S I figured I would take a look.

Exactly! All the long threads and great reviews of R&S made me curious, so I got a used copy just to look at. We won't be using it, of course, because we also only use secular materials. But atleast it gives me an idea of how much diagramming to teach a fourth-grader and in what sequence.

Exactly! All the long threads and great reviews of R&S made me curious, so I got a used copy just to look at. We won't be using it, of course, because we also only use secular materials. But atleast it gives me an idea of how much diagramming to teach a fourth-grader and in what sequence.

I never thought of that :). That's an idea! I do not use secular only since we are Christian. I just prefer not having religious content in all subjects we do. I should have taken the time to look over their books at our convention but I had other booths to visit. I guess I will have to do that at our next convention should the need arise. I think we will be fine with Shurley, I am just concerned whether I should be adding something to it. Hopefully by next summer, after we have used Shurley for a year, I should have a clearer picture if I need to look for additional options. We are already adding PLL to Shurley anyway. Thank you for your reply and for the idea of checking it out to see how the topics are covered :). I wonder if I could just start getting the TG's to use as a guide! It is only their English programs I am interested in anyway.