Menu

Anyone's child gone the Pharmacy Technician route?

Hunter's Moon

I volunteer at a Pharmacy and when I graduate next May I'll be sitting for the PTCB exam with the help of the Pharmacy Technician Supervisor where I volunteer.

I was wondering how you/your child met the Continuing Education requirements to become recertified in 2 years.

No schools around here offer a Pharmacy Technician program, and I did find freece.com, and even though they say they are accredited by ACPE, it seems... shifty.

I'm still wondering if I should become a Clinical Lab Asst. and go to school for that when I work as a Pharmacy Tech. but that is still up in the air, at the moment.

I'm not acquainted with the specifics of pharm tech licensing in MA, but in general, continuing ed requirements for many fields can be met in short bursts of time. Examples are one day or weekend seminars, taken periodically, or in the case of teachers, courses taken online or in weekend format. In OH, it's not unusual to have to drive to another city (up to two hours away) in order to take these classes, and hotel stays are also fairly commonplace.

As for finding the classes/seminars, try the website of your state licensing board and any professional pharmacy trade association. Often, once you are licensed, providers of continuing ed will find you through email/direct mail marketing. Finally, ask your supervisor for ideas.

It sounds like you've had a great "apprenticeship" that will produce a real benefit for you. I love hearing about experiences like yours. It also sounds like you'll have a way through college that will certainly beat flipping burgers!

Beth

This is interesting to me. My husband is a GM for one of the national chain pharmacy retailers and pharm techs don't need anything specific. They take the exam and then pay the state fee and are then pharm techs. When it's time to renew, they pay another fee. There is no continuing ed involved.

In order to step into the pharmacy, you must be at least a pharm tech, so my husband also has to renew his "license" every so often, but it's just the paying of a fee.

Maybe you are talking about becoming something more than a pharm tech (after you have done that for awhile)?

Just curious, as I am always interested in what types of postions are out there these days for my own kids to look into. :)

This is interesting to me. My husband is a GM for one of the national chain pharmacy retailers and pharm techs don't need anything specific. They take the exam and then pay the state fee and are then pharm techs. When it's time to renew, they pay another fee. There is no continuing ed involved.

In order to step into the pharmacy, you must be at least a pharm tech, so my husband also has to renew his "license" every so often, but it's just the paying of a fee.

Maybe you are talking about becoming something more than a pharm tech (after you have done that for awhile)?

Just curious, as I am always interested in what types of postions are out there these days for my own kids to look into. :)

According to The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board, in order to recertify, you must complete 20 contact hours of Continuing Education within two years of first getting certified. I believe 10 can be at your job, just in an area you aren't used to. So, if I worked in the main Pharmacy, the IV room would probably be an area I could earn 10 contact hours.

The Pharmacy Technician Supervisor where I volunteer also said this.

That is very interesting. I suppose if you are working in a hospital pharmacy or some other type, rather than the retail pharmacies, it could be different.

I would suggest going to your corner retail pharmacy and inquiring. It will be good for you to know, and may help you make your decision.

That is very interesting. I suppose if you are working in a hospital pharmacy or some other type, rather than the retail pharmacies, it could be different.

I would suggest going to your corner retail pharmacy and inquiring. It will be good for you to know, and may help you make your decision.

Yeah, that's a good idea.

I really enjoy the hospital I'm at now and would love to work there, so the CE requirements don't bother me too much. I'm sure they have something set up at the hospital or that at least works with the hospital to help meet their recertification requirements. I can't imagine they would make the Pharmacy Techs figure it out on their own.