Menu

I still can't decide on science. Help me, please.

My older two HSers will be in grades 11 and 10 next year. They just finished Apologia Biology and did Physical Science the year before. I had planned on chemistry next but because neither of them is mathy they are behind and will be doing TT Alg II and Alg I this coming year. I bought Marine Bio but that wasn't what they wanted to do, so I sold that and bought BJU Earth and Space. The E&S looks like it might not be meaty enough for 10th and 11th grade.

My 7th grader did Physical Science this year along with Saxon 7/6. I don't want him to do Bio in 8th while he does Alg 1/2 because then he won't have finished Alg I before starting Chem.

I had planned on all 3 doing the E&S but now I don't know. I think it would be fine for the 8th grader but what do I use with the older two? Any suggestions.

Jean,

I have taught the BJU Earth and Space science the last several years at our homeschool group. I personally think the curriculum is plenty meaty for high schoolers. Sometimes in teaching it, I think it is a bit much for 8th graders. I would have my high schoolers do more of the math oriented investigations. Also the investigations on topographical maps are pretty intense. If you want to beef it up, have your high schoolers write up lab reports for some of the investigations. So I would not hesitate to use it with all three of your dc.

HTH

Jean,

I have taught the BJU Earth and Space science the last several years at our homeschool group. I personally think the curriculum is plenty meaty for high schoolers. Sometimes in teaching it, I think it is a bit much for 8th graders. I would have my high schoolers do more of the math oriented investigations. Also the investigations on topographical maps are pretty intense. If you want to beef it up, have your high schoolers write up lab reports for some of the investigations. So I would not hesitate to use it with all three of your dc.

HTH

:iagree:

We just finished BJU Space & Earth and, quite frankly, I thought it was pretty tough for 8th grade and wouldn't hesitate using it, or recommending it, for high school.

Your older two can always hit Chemistry in 11th and 12th.

Thank you all. I will stick with the plan of E&S this year and do Chem the following.

Another question-How did you list E&S on their transcript?

I listed it at Earth Science.

And, we just did chemistry with the second (and last) kid. It was awful. Two subjects I am so glad I will never see again, geometry and chemistry. Two kids, done forever. :001_smile: And, there was a lot of math, and you couldn't do it until you understood the concepts in that module and also remembered concepts from previous chapters.

Our 9th grade is always either Earth Science (BJU for my non-science interested children) or Physical Science (Abeka for science oriented) and just list it as either Earth Science or Physical Science on the transcript.

I listed it at Earth Science.

And, we just did chemistry with the second (and last) kid. It was awful. Two subjects I am so glad I will never see again, geometry and chemistry. Two kids, done forever. :001_smile: And, there was a lot of math, and you couldn't do it until you understood the concepts in that module and also remembered concepts from previous chapters.

Thank you, both!