Menu

Need fun book recommendation ASAP

I am placing my bn.com order right now and I have a little extra dollars left on my gift card that I got for my birthday. I don't know what to get. I want to read something fun. I don't like mysteries or murder or anything with violence or a lot of drama. I don't mind a "heavy" read, but I just finished One Thousand Gifts and I am ready for a fiction book. I usually like inspiring stories and enjoy Christian fiction, but it doesn't have to be that (I don't like the Amish Christian fiction stories though). I have enjoyed reading The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud and all the Twilight series, and the Ashley Stockingdale novels by Kristin Billerbeck. I am book picky but have a wide range of what I like as you can tell with my list above! :lol: Any recommendations??? :bigear:

Well, you said you don't like mysteries, but I highly recommend the Flavia de Luce books by Alan Bradley. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is the first one. Yes, they're murder mysteries, but they're not heavy, dark, or sad. The main character is a smart, sassy 11yo girl.

Books by A.J. Jacobs are really funny, imo. The Year of Living Biblically is entertaining, as is The Guinea Pig Diaries. (His books are non-fiction, but are so fun to read.)

For sheer fun & zaniness, I love The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear. I love this book, but I realize it may not appeal to everyone. Check it out on amazon & see if it's something you'd like...

And, I second the PP's suggestion of Jasper Fforde's books. The Eyre Affair is a great book.

Have fun! :D

Fun books:

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg and most of her books - very sweet and light - and quite funny - this is the first one that came to my mind when reading your post

Funny in Farsi - if you need a nice laugh as well as her other book Laughing without an Accent

The Help ... great book, but not always fun, fun parts for sure

The Geography of Bliss – non-fiction, very insightful, fun, but again, non-fiction