Menu

Help me with history!!!

kmom

I am about to drive my dh crazy so please please help me decide what to do next year!! My dd has completed first grade this year and has just taken off in her reading skills. She is easily able to read Magic Tree House books and has had no problem with comprehending what she reads. We belong to a Classical Conversations group and next year will be our third year in the program. So here is my dilemma...

She loves (and so do I) CC....next year the focus in American History... do I use CC strictly as memory work and use an open and go type curriculum? I am really leaning toward HOD as we already use SM and I can easily use my own language arts. I love the way HOD lays out their history cycles ...spending time on American then a year of overview etc. Also, I love how the read alouds are set up and how history has them making a timeline, hands-on art projects and some basic geography. This all seems perfect for her!

OR...do I use just CC as my curriculum guide for science and history? I keep reading my CC guide and I can see how it could be a very full curriculum but I just have a hard time envisioning it flowing I guess. If you have used just CC how did you schedule it? Did you just read books and/or have a spine? I looked at SOTW but the history sentences would span 3 volumes and skip around quit a bit. Also, not sure if either of us want to spend 12 weeks on the human body.... If you did use just CC did you feel like it was a disjointed or that important things got left out? I guess I just have a hard time seeing that this all I need to do...

Sory this is so long!! Please tell me your thoughts or advice!!

Like I said above, we're just starting out with CC in the fall, so I'm no expert.

But here's what I'm planning on doing with my ds8 and ds6: letting the foundations guide "guide" us into what to study. I've bought several books on American History along with an activity guide to help fill in some of the context for the facts we'll be learning. Same thing for anatomy... I've bought a few books and an activity guide to help fill in the context. Of course I'll supplement with math, grammar, spelling/phonics, writing and I'm throwing in Bible.

I've looked into joining CC for the previous 2 years but just didn't think it was enough to be a full curriculum- for either History or Science. This year my friend is starting her own, small, not-for-profit CC group and we will be joining. I plan to continue using Tapestry for History & Nancy Larson Science. I view CC as a supplement- there just isn't enough there to count as an entire History program. That's just my 2 cents- I love History & one of my undergraduate degrees is in History so it is a major focus of our schooling. For someone who doesn't feel as strongly, CC might be enough for History. So, my opinion is to use CC as a History Guide.

I am about to drive my dh crazy so please please help me decide what to do next year!! My dd has completed first grade this year and has just taken off in her reading skills. She is easily able to read Magic Tree House books and has had no problem with comprehending what she reads. We belong to a Classical Conversations group and next year will be our third year in the program. So here is my dilemma...

She loves (and so do I) CC....next year the focus in American History... do I use CC strictly as memory work and use an open and go type curriculum? I am really leaning toward HOD as we already use SM and I can easily use my own language arts. I love the way HOD lays out their history cycles ...spending time on American then a year of overview etc. Also, I love how the read alouds are set up and how history has them making a timeline, hands-on art projects and some basic geography. This all seems perfect for her!

OR...do I use just CC as my curriculum guide for science and history? I keep reading my CC guide and I can see how it could be a very full curriculum but I just have a hard time envisioning it flowing I guess. If you have used just CC how did you schedule it? Did you just read books and/or have a spine? I looked at SOTW but the history sentences would span 3 volumes and skip around quit a bit. Also, not sure if either of us want to spend 12 weeks on the human body.... If you did use just CC did you feel like it was a disjointed or that important things got left out? I guess I just have a hard time seeing that this all I need to do...

Sory this is so long!! Please tell me your thoughts or advice!!

If I were doing CC I would much prefer to be studying the same period of history that my child was learning about in class. Otherwise the information would just be nothing more than dry facts, imo. I would want to make it come alive. I love the idea of using SOTW and just pulling the chapters that correlate with what she is learning in CC. Really you would only need 2 volumes b/c it's only a chapter or two in Volume 2 that even deal with the New World. SOTW is easy to pick up used as well so the cost wouldn't be intensive. Instead of or in addition to, you could get multiple library books each week about the history topics she is learning about and simply learn from those. I am sure that HOD or Winter Promise or MFW would also be good options as they all have American History years (I think anyway :tongue_smilie:)

I don't know how CC's science is laid out but if they do study the human body for 12 weeks you could easily use Elemental Science written by Pata, a board member here. She does a 20 week animal unit, a 10 week human body unit and a 6 week plant unit. It may not correlate perfectly but it would be close enough! Noeo or RS4K might work just as well. Or you could just get lots of library books like with history.

CC is a great and wonderful program but this is one of the main things that has kept us out. We are on a 4 year rotation I started with my oldest 4 years ago. Next year we start back at the Ancients and my upcoming 1st grader will be going through it for the first time and my oldest will be hitting it for his second go round. I have not (yet) been willing to give up the rotation we are on and move to CC's time period and I am definitely not willing to have my kids learn facts about one time period while we are studying another. I know lots of families choose to do this and I don't think it is horrible or anything...just not for us. :D