Menu

Independent grammar for boy I tutor?

I've been tutoring a boy who attends public school (just finishing 6th grade) in math for the last year. While his math grades have improved, he's struggling with grammar & spelling.

We did some Mad Libs together yesterday just to see if he could give me examples of noun, verb, adjective, etc... and he couldn't name them without an explanation of what the words meant. He's a bright kid but not terribly interested in grammar. He said they hadn't covered any of those things since the first half of the year, which his mom confirmed is true.

I want him to do some independent work in this area for a short time every day, and then for us to cement some of those things in my weekly sessions with him, but I'm not sure what would be a good independent program for him. We use & love FLL here but it's not independent. Any suggestions? Thanks! :bigear:

Um... my kids seem to enjoy Schoolhouse Rock a lot, but he might consider cartoons a little juvenile for sixth grade, I don't know. (Hey, I enjoy it, but I'm not a sixth grader with a reputation to protect, right?)

You can get that either on video or CD--my local library has it on CD, in fact--and it's really good for pinning down basic parts of speech, which is what you're working on, it sounds like. We got a used copy of the video for a buck or so at a yard sale a year ago, so I can't imagine it being that hard to get a cheap version. You could check it out on Youtube to see if your pupil likes it, and if he does, it should be a good supplement for whatever else you decide to do.

Edited by morosophe

Saxon Grammar might work if he is able to read through the new material that is introduced each day and comprehend it. There is a lot of practice and review in each lesson, but there is also new concept introduced in every lesson. My son does it very independently, but I do spend a few minutes going over the new concept with him.

Lisa

I second Saxon grammar and Writing. It is the only program mine do not complain about. Also, I let mine write in the 'text' book. It isn't that expensive and no more complaining about copying.