Menu

Tell me more about Latin for Children

TracyR

Okay . Found this while researching Song School Latin ( love the looks by the way ) . Like the Looks of this program ( okay just looking in case Prima Latina doesnt' work ) . Can anyone tell me more . I'm happy to see they have a DVD program too . How is this ? Is this worth the money ?

Do tell . Would like the hear the good and the bad .

Well, we've tried several different Latin programs and this so far is the best fit for our family. We've done Latina Christiana, Schola Latina (which I really liked), Minimus. Latin for Children is just plain fun to my kids. We watch the DVD first. My kids love the chants. After watching it I'll go through the lesson a bit. I just do a little bit each day. I find that I do the DVD and some workbook one day, then the next I do flashcards (I made up) and activity book and I alternate that way. It is really sticking with my kids and they are enjoying it. I love that I have absolutely no lesson planning to do (except make up flashcards while the kids are watching the DVD!).

Well, LfC was not a success for us. Maybe we were too young - we tried it for 2nd and 5th. The grammar was too ambitious for my 2nd grader. The chants were too fast for both. It was like they were learning a whole string of sounds not 1 word. We found the dvds generally rather sweet but also rather boring.

We started the year this year with Matin Latin and it was also not a great success. Their teacher method didnt work too well either. But, Latin's Not So TOugh has been a better choice for us. We have only used it for 3 weeks, but so far so good.

Latin for Children A has been a winner for us this past year.

My son really likes it and asks to do it even on Fridays (which is generally a lighter & different-paced day for us). He enjoys the DVDs (we use these on the 1st day of a new chapter) and likes the change of pace they provide (although the DVDs basically cover the same content as in the book, but in a different format).

I like that the program is written to the student (there is no TM) and I find it well organized with plenty of review built in. As long as you stay on top of the vocab, I think the pace of the program is perfect.

Between the Primer, DVD's, the chant CD, and my own go-fish cards / my own flashcards, we had all the tools we needed for a wonderful 1st year of Latin.

Starting in 3rd grade was perfect for us regarding level, but we were already familiar with the grammar - the Latin grammar reinforced our English grammar very well.

The chants ARE a bit fast, especially in the beginning, but we just practice on our own at our own pace.

Classical Academic Press provides good support via on-line worksheets, Latin vocab review game, forum w/ online Latin tutor, and more.

I'm also excited about Latin Alive that Classical Academic Press is coming out with to follow up LFC.

HTH

We give LfC a huge thumbs up:thumbup: at our house.

We started with Prima Latina, then moved on to LC1 and LC2. Everything seemed okay insofar as Latin went, but, alas, we tried Minimus. And dd discovered that Latin didn't necessarily have to be *tedious* -- it was possible for Latin to be interesting and even FUN. Latina Christiana may be thorough, but it isn't exactly fun.

So, while whining about LC, I happened to find someone selling everything for LfC A -- it hadn't worked out for their family at all. I got the entire kaboodle -- activity book, DVD, everything. Dd LOVED it. Granted, she already had a jump start on it since she'd learned quite a bit of the same stuff in LC and Minimus. She works in it independently. She's now in LfC B. I couldn't tell you what the attraction is for her, but she was thrilled that the publisher came out with a Spanish program. She is quite sold on the way they set up their beginning language courses.

I wish I could tell you more about why she likes it so you could judge if those are qualities that are important to you. All I can say, though, is that it's a huge hit here.

(For the record, we also have Ecce Romani and Lingua Latina, which we've dabbled in.)