Menu

Can Slow Processing speed be the cause of a writing LD

Guest akellman

Guest akellman

Hi

I just came back from an IEP meeting where we discussed the recent testing (by the school psycologist) of my 16 year old step son. For the longest time we've known that this very bright boy has major problems with writing, so I asked that they do some specific tests in this area to try to shed some light on the cause.

They presented us with the results at the IEP meeting and I was disappointed that they did not do any testing specific for writing. But they said that the Wisc IV processing speed score of 89 (23 percentile) explains it. His others scores were:

Verbal 122 (93rd)

Perceptual Reasoning 115 (84th)

Working Memory 105 (63rd)

General Ability Index 122 (93rd)

Does anybody have perspective on whether the low processing score is a likely the cause of writing difficulties?

His mom is inclined to accept this as the answer. Honestly, I'm dissapointed that more testing wasn't done. But then again, if that's the answer, then I guess know more needs to be done.

Yes. This could explain the writing difficulties. Scores with similar profiles (high verbal and perceptual scores and very low processing speed) have also been interpreted as dyslexia. Dyslexic individuals also experience significant challenges around writing.

In the case of your step-son, I would be working with the school for accommodations-- word processing, most directly, and more specifically extra time on projects and tests, and reduced workloads. Even the possiblity of doing tests orally.

My 15 yo has a diagnosed writing disability and low processing speed, but I never put it together that the low processing speed was causing the writing disability.

I had such a hard time figuring out how she learned, and the dyslexia label didn't seem to fit until I read The Mislabeled Child. The dyslexia chapter could have been written about her, with the exception that she learned to read late but within normal parameters. She has high verbal and perceptual scores and low processing speed, but again, I didn't know there is a correlation between those scores and dyslexia.

I am always learning something new here. :001_smile:

Guest akellman

right. I mean when he's into a novel, he'll read 600 pages in a weekend.

Thanks for the input. I think we have appropriate accomodations in place. But sometimes he can be resistent, like to using a word processor.

Thanks again

Alan

right. I mean when he's into a novel, he'll read 600 pages in a weekend.

Thanks for the input. I think we have appropriate accomodations in place. But sometimes he can be resistent, like to using a word processor.

Thanks again

Alan

Dyslexia doesn't mean that a person can not read 600 pages in a weekend. From the tests that the school did, you can neither rule it in or out. Dyslexia is a disability within the language processing "system".

I'm not sure whether it can be phrased quite that way, that processing speed is the cause of the dysgraphia (or dyslexia, for that matter). I do not believe it's that straightforward. The WISC processing speed score is comprised of two subtests: Symbol Search and Coding. Symbol Search involves visual scanning and tracking. Coding involves motor output, and academically would be related to timed tests/assignments and notetaking. I think you'd need to look closer at the subtest scores for more information. Even then, think about what is involved in the coding subtest - I believe it's the one where they look at rows of letters and copy them on another piece of paper. Vision, mental speed, and motor speed are what come to mind, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were still others.

In any case, it would be good to be aware that low processing speed scores and low working memory scores on the WISC are associated with a laundry list of LDs. My understanding is that the scores, while they may point toward one particular problem or another, are not necessarily relevant when it comes to the final diagnosis.

ETA: maybe we could say that the processing speed causes dysgraphia to the extent that there is a bottleneck, so to speak, where the thoughts can't get written fast enough... I don't know......

Edited by wapiti

Guest akellman

Ramona mentions that I may be able to rule it out by the tests my son was given. Ramona, or someone else, can you please elaborate on that.

Thanks

Alan

FWIW, I have a ds8 with a low processing speed, but there is a big difference between his subtest scores, with coding being much lower (21st percentile for PS overall, 50th for symbol search and 9th for coding).

Wapiti, remind me, you did VT with your ds? And did they do any coding as part of it? We did some. Not a ton, but some. I'm just wondering to what degree activities like that could alter the test. And I'm wondering to what degree results in that section could be thrown off in a child who has unremediated vision problems (tracking, etc.), kwim? In some children you'd be seeing their eye problems, not inherent ability to process. And I think I missed it in your explanation. Did they give a reason for the discrepancy between the two subtest scores for processing?

Akellman--Working memory also affects writing, because they need to be able to hold it all in their minds as they go from thought to word to written. Any glitch in there, and they forget what they were trying to write. One little distraction (brother jabbing them, background noises, etc.) and it's all gone. My dd and dh both prefer to be utterly alone, in a quiet place, in order to write. Now I intentionally make sure she has time where she is writing and doing schoolwork with her toddler brother banging around, because she needs to be able to process with that distraction. But indeed, that's just one more component in the hate writing phenomenon. Or they're trying to remember how to form the letters while they write. For years my dd would pop up with that, asking me how to write a letter. It's that working memory and ability to juggle everything at once.

Sounds like you have some reading to do! I have "The Mislabeled Child" in my reading pile and want to affirm that recommendation to read it. Any other books in that section of the library will be useful too, so just dig in. It's not one thing. It's how all these pieces fit together and what happens functionally as a result. Freed has a book "Right-Brained Child in a Left-Brained World" (or is it vice versa?) that also has a lot of good ideas. And you can google the boards for people teaching dyslexics. They won't necessarily use the boards but will just be the innovators. Try Nan in Mass. Spend a whole evening reading her posts and see what ideas you get. She's had some very good posts lately on going BACK and shoring up that skills foundation. Sometimes the way to go forward really is to go back. Go back to narration and dictation and make sure those basic skills are there, so he has something to work with.

Just as a matter of course, has he had his eyes checked? VT changed our lives. http://www.covd.org is where you go to find a developmental optometrist. They do a more thorough eye exam to look for the things that affect learning. Ours will even do just a regular exam and screen for the convergence, eye teaming, etc. That way you only do the more thorough exam if they need it. Just a thought, since these problems seem to be pretty common in kids with these difficulties.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Ok, so I'm trying to *process* all this on processing, lol. Can the NP do the TAPS3, or is that only an SLP?

And do you really think video games would improve processing speed? That's interesting to ponder.

Ok, found this. http://www.psychologicalscience.org/journals/cd/18_6_inpress/Bavelier_final.pdf There apparently is evidence to that video games do improve video processing, but apparently you have to use fast-paced, action ones with lots of stuff happening. Are there any like this that *aren't* violent? That would be the question to me. And would an 11-13% increase get our kids anywhere? (That's what the study found.) Maybe some kids would have more?

Edited by OhElizabeth