Menu

Home Haircutting kit

Does anyone have one that they like? I've been cutting my boys and husband's hair for years now, but I need a new trimmer. I use the one that has clips for how long you want it.

To be honest, I have had SUCH a hard time finding one that works. The one i've been using is an animal groomer (which is appropriate too, :lol:), because the ones designed for people hair don't seem to be able to get through my family's hair. And I don't believe they have extraordinarily thick hair, either.

Can someone link me to a good trimmer? It saves SO much money to cut their hair at home, i'd like to keep that up. But my trimmer has been dropped a couple of times and needs replacing.

We have the "deluxe" Wahl's hair clippers, with SOME of the attachments shown in this Amazon link.

http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-79524-24-Piece-Deluxe-Clipper/dp/B00006K116

I asked for it as a Christmas present 20 years ago, when I was starting to become more aware of how to save money.

We have 8 of the black attachments, and mostly use the #7 and #8.

Thinning scissors have been helpful for our 2 teen sons, to thin out the extra thick hair on top (which I remind them will disappear by the time they turn 40 yo). :D

My dh and I team-hair-cut our 4 boys, and I cut dh's. Start by cutting the younger ones, or the ones with THIN hair to get experience. We've always cut our family's hair (since we started having kids) because it was too expensive (and too much of a pain) to get everyone to the barber shop. We save $50 every 3 weeks (at a minimum).

There's another related thread on this board about learning to cut hair.

I used a Flo-bee on my kids for a few years. I could never get the haircut to look good, but my mother in law could! She is great with a Flo-bee!!!! So when she came to visit the boys got haircuts..... then one day, I told her just to take it home with her and use it on my father in law. Now, we go to the barber shop..

I have what appears to be the same as Beth posted (I got mine as a Christmas gift, too!) but our guards are colored. One of the best gifts, ever, in my book. We've been using it for 5 years or so and there has never been an issue.