Menu

If you used CW "Poetry for Beginners"

Bump :)

Can I also add a question, when did you begin using Poetry for Beginners? (I know the website says after week 10 in Homer, but my Aesop instructor's book suggests using it in between Aesop A and B???)

This is kind of embarrassing, but I actually can't remember when we used it. It could have been alongside Homer B or it might have been at the end of the year to fill in the remaining time before moving on to Diogenes Maxim. I kind of think it was the former.

I'm not sure that I can give it a rousing endorsement. Perhaps it is my own lack of interest in trope and meter. We worked through all or nearly all of the book (with the core, student workbook and instructor's guide). To my mind it is quite in-depth, but not terribly interesting.

FWIW, we have used all of the Classical Writing books from Aesop up to Diogenese Maxim (will begin Chreia next year) and I actually really like the series. But I'm on the fence about whether or not to do any of the other CW poetry books.

Blessings!

I remember our poetry studies in Greece :D and I am looking forward to the poetry studies with CW as well. Adrian loves memorizing poems and has enjoyed the FLL and WWE poems. Anyway, I remember reading that we are supposed to get it with Homer, so I figured we have time. Interesting point Paige! I hope someone has an answer. I just placed our Rainbow order early this morning, which includes CW Aesop A (the three books). I am wondering if we should get the poetry to include with B the following year or just wait until Homer. I would love to hear what others have followed also.

:lurk5:

Can I also add a question, when did you begin using Poetry for Beginners? (I know the website says after week 10 in Homer, but my Aesop instructor's book suggests using it in between Aesop A and B???)

I have a CW Instructor Guide B and it suggests using Beginning Poetry "during Winter", but what I find confusing that it proposes using the same 12 lessons for Aesop A and Aesop B (weeks 1-12). So I am not sure how to interpret it.

If you used CW "Poetry for Beginners" books what did you like about them and why? Did you use a complete set, including a core book, an instructor guide and a student workbook or just a core "Poetry for Beginners" book?

Thanks in advance.

I liked that it was a very approachable way for us to study poetry together. It did an excellent job with basic mechanics such as rhyme, meter, and figures of speech. I especially liked the imitation sections. Having a model to working from made writing poetry much easier.

We used just the core book and a tiny book that had all of the models in it.

Poetry for Beginners is scheduled to use as a short break in the middle of each year of Homer. You would do 10 weeks of Homer followed by 12 weeks of poetry then 10 more weeks of Homer each year. We actually chose to do 20 weeks of Homer followed by 12 weeks of poetry for both 5th and 6th. The poetry definitely takes less time so scheduling it in the spring gave DD more outside time. HTH

I liked that it was a very approachable way for us to study poetry together. It did an excellent job with basic mechanics such as rhyme, meter, and figures of speech. I especially liked the imitation sections. Having a model to working from made writing poetry much easier.

We used just the core book and a tiny book that had all of the models in it.

Poetry for Beginners is scheduled to use as a short break in the middle of each year of Homer. You would do 10 weeks of Homer followed by 12 weeks of poetry then 10 more weeks of Homer each year. We actually chose to do 20 weeks of Homer followed by 12 weeks of poetry for both 5th and 6th. The poetry definitely takes less time so scheduling it in the spring gave DD more outside time. HTH

This was very helpful. Thank you :).

Thank you guys for the info and to the OP, thanks for starting this thread! I bought my instructor's guide used, so I'm wondering if it's just an older version where the recommendations were different.