Menu

Anyone done a Liver Cleansing Diet?

I'm specifically thinking of Dr Sandra Cabot's diet, simply because someone lent me her book.

I've just finished 6 months of chemo for Hodgkin's Lymphoma, and have a month of radiation coming up in July.

In my 5 week's break I want to build myself back up, give my poor old liver a break & a cleanse from processing all those yucky toxins, and maybe lose some of the 17kg of chemo weight (but that's secondary to feeling better & getting my body/immunity in better shape).

If you've done any liver cleansing diet, can you share any tips/warnings?

Oh, and anything that my help my thyroid to withstand the radiation (neck area, and half the thyroid will be in the line). They say 80% chance of losing it (but I've read that if it's iodine sufficient before starting, there's more chance you'll keep it)

TIA

HI Isabella,

I have done the Sandra Cabot Liver Cleanse several times over the years, and I think it is excellent. It is gentle, doable and effective. It's not a quick fix- it gives your body several weeks to release the toxins, rather than an intense week with strong herbs, as some other diets do- which I think would be too much for you.

I have found the SC diet to be doable with a family and occasional meals out. Most of the meals everyone can eat- especially if you add in some of their favourites as well. You eat normal meals, no fasting, and so you feel fairly normal- no wildly fluctuating sugar levels. I found the meals recommended to be quite normal family food- not extreme hippy stuff (even though I personally like extreme hippy stuff, the family doesn't :) )

One time I did the diet, though, my whole body broke out in hives- I was stressed as well at the time- but my liver couldn't handle it all. I just stopped taking the supplement and after a few days the big spots went away. ANd I actually felt really good after that- liver toxins are often release through the skin, so be aware of that- and it's almost always fine.

Since you have been taking very toxic chemicals- take it easy. Don't rush into the diet or you will feel awful. Rest as needed.

I would probably do it too, if I was in your situation.

May I also suggest green smoothies for you? They would not be against the diet, I dont think, and could do you a lot of good.

As for the thyroid- yes, you need to saturate it with iodine, in my understanding- but I am not an expert in that area.

Hi Peela,

Thanks for your advice - I'm certainly open to green smoothies! Do you have any recipes you can suggest? I have a masiticating juicer, as well as a thermomix, so would you use one of those?

I do plan to juice, juice, juice. If I listen to my body, it's telling me that juices (& raw food) are what I need. On my couple of yucky days after chemo, I feel icky if I have meat/cooked food & feel good with a juice or salad (better with the juice). In my juice I put carrot, beetroot, celery, lemon & red onion. I say *if* I listen to my body, because so much of the time I just go for what is easy & accessible - can't be bothered getting the juicer out. For the next 5 weeks it's going to live on my kitchen bench.

Glad to hear you found the diet do-able for the whole family. My dh is keen - he could stand to get a little healthier, and he's very amenable to improving his health, which is great. My kids are a little less amenable, but if they are fairly normal meals, I'm sure they'll cope OK. I guess they'll be having the odd 'naughty' things on the side, though.

Oh yes- go for the juices. I think they are an important part of the liver cleanse diet.

My masticating juicer lives on my counter, along with my Thermomix.

However, I do go through phases with it. One thing that sometimes gets to me- if I am cleansing or something- I often think that then I should make juices or smoothies for everyone. Smoothies are quite quick and easy - but juicing for 4 takes a lot longer than juicing for 1- so I take it day by day and what I feel I have energy for. Better I do juices for myself alone consistently, than no one at all because it's too big a job every day! That's why I got into the smoothies more too- easier to do for everyone, if they like them.

I sent it to you privately but just in case anyone else is reading this, here is a great page of Green SMoothie recipes:

rawfamily.com/recipes

Isabella, I'm so happy to see this thread. Peela mentioned this a while back and I've been meaning to read more about it. You've reminded me to do so. Not sure when we'll implement this. Peela always has fabulous advice. :)

Oh, and anything that my help my thyroid to withstand the radiation (neck area, and half the thyroid will be in the line). They say 80% chance of losing it (but I've read that if it's iodine sufficient before starting, there's more chance you'll keep it)

One word, Iodoral - avaiable from amazon.

Iodoral.jpg

Read the reviews. Do a search here. Lots of threads. I take anywhere from 1-4 daily. I spent a loooong time researching this. No thyroid issues myself that I am aware of, but I always have my suspicions. Thyroid issues do run in my family.

This book, which I have not read, but at least one person here has, is said to be very good.

ib-image.jpg

Here's the author's site.

I have lots and lots of info on this ... here's just some of it:

More than 90% of us are low in iodine.

Whole body iodine insufficiency is contributing to numerous health problems from hypothyroidism to breast cancer and fibromyalgia.

Today's environment makes it almost impossible to get the amount of iodine you need.

1. There's very little iodine in the soil. So unless you're eating a ton of iodine-rich foods like kelp, seaweed and shellfish, you're not going to get much iodine from your diet.

2. Many salt companies have stopped adding iodine to table salt. While commercial table salt usually contains iodine, this is not the best way to boost iodine intake. In fact, “salt iodination, which is performed routinely in many countries, may increase the incidence of overt hypothyroidism,†a new Greek study concludes. Kelp and other sea vegetables are excellent sources of natural iodine. Use Seaweed Gomasio to season your food, rather than iodized salt.

3. Food manufacturers have stopped using iodine in baked goods and are using bromine instead. Bromine (a halogen) competes with iodine to get into your cells. So the more bromine you consume, the less iodine you get. Unfortunately, many foods today (primarily baked goods) are loaded with bromine.

4. Our water supply contains chlorine and fluoride, both of which are halogens. Again, halogens compete with iodine to get into your cells.

And you can't avoid chlorine and fluoride simply by drinking filtered water. That's because you get a hefty dose any time you bathe, shower, soak in a hot tub, or swim in a swimming pool.

5. Most conventional doctors never test for iodine deficiency. They figure there's no need to test iodine levels when they can just test your thyroid function instead. The problem with this is that the most widely used thyroid test, the TSH, is wildly inaccurate. Reason: While the TSH measures thyroid hormone, it can't tell the difference between active thyroid hormone with iodine and de-activated thyroid hormone with bromine or chlorine or fluorine. So the test shows you have plenty of thyroid hormone. But most of the thyroid hormone isn't doing its job!

Symptoms of Iodine Deficiency

Adrenal Fatigue

Cardiac arrhythmia

Diabetes (both types)

Fibrocystic breast disease

Fibromyalgia

Graves’ disease

Hormone resistance syndromes

Hypertension

Obesity

PCOS

Sleep apnea

Thyroid Disorders – sub-clinical hypothyroidism, autoimmune thyroiditis

BENEFITS OF CORRECTING AN IODINE DEFICIENCY

THYROID

Interestingly, over the past 30 years, Americans’ iodine intake has declined 50% while thyroid disorders have significantly increased during that period.

Iodine plays a significant role in preventing hormonal imbalances and regulating the thyroid

Your thyroid gland needs iodine whether it’s working normally, is underactive (hypothyroid), overactive (hyperthyroid), or enlarged (goiter). Enough iodine normalizes all these conditions.

PROTECTS BREASTS – Fibrocystic Breast Disease, Breast Cancer (as well as endometrial and ovarian cancers)

What most people don’t realize is that next to the thyroid, iodine is concentrated in breast tissue. It can protect against fibrocystic breast disease and even breast cancer.

Iodine helps to normalize the impact of estrogens on the breast. It decreases or turns off the estrogen receptor sites in the breast.

Iodine is critical for breast tissue function and has been shown to be lower in cancerous breast tissue. Research has found strong evidence that women who are deficient in iodine are more prone to breast cancer.

Back in the ’70s, scientists noted geographic differences in the rates of breast cancer (as well as endometrial and ovarian cancer), depending upon dietary iodine intake. Where iodine intake was lower, the incidence of these cancers was higher. Diets low in iodine can lead to more circulating estrogen levels in the body.

Recent research has shown that iodine treatment improves fibrocystic disease in 70 percent of the women tested.

As our intake of iodine has declined, breast cancer has increased.

When bromide gets into the tissues, it displaces iodine, which, again, is essential for breast health. Some women with fibrocystic breast disease find their cysts and tenderness disappear after iodine supplementation.

DIGESTION

Iodine helps your digestion - Promotes HCL (hydrochloric acid) for digestion of protein, iron, and calcium

Low HCL production is frequently caused by iodine insufficiency. We need iodine to pump chloride into stomach cells. Without enough HCL, we can’t digest protein or utilize calcium, magnesium, or iron efficiently. As we age, our bodies make less and less HCL. By increasing iodine, you may also be able to increase your body’s natural production of HCL.

HELPS REMOVE CERTAIN TOXINS FROM BODY

Iodine protects us from two toxic elements – fluoride and bromide. These toxins are in our water, hot tubs, non-organic foods, and some soft drinks. Bromide is even used in some asthma drugs. If you don’t have enough iodine, chances are you have too much fluoride and bromide. Sufficient iodine pulls these toxins out of your body.

HELPS FIBROMYALGIA

Fibromyalgia patients often have high levels of bromide. Iodine removes bromide out of the body, improving fibromyalgia.

STRESS

Acts as an adaptogen, a substance that helps your body adapt to stress

Adaptogens are substances that help normalize various bodily functions.

Iodine supports your adrenals and helps reduce stress – your adrenal glands need sufficient iodine to function properly and respond to life’s many stresses.

MAY HELP SHED EXCESS WEIGHT

When you correct your iodine deficiency, you may find that you shed the pounds easily — without strict deprivation diets or punishing exercise regimens. That's because you'll be working with your body instead of against it. You'll be getting down to your natural weight ... the weight God intended you to be.

FIGHTS FATIGUE and gives greater energy

NORMALIZES SEVERAL HORMONES – Without enough iodine, your hormones won’t work at their best. If you and your doctor can’t explain why the hormones you’re taking aren’t working the way they should, insufficient iodine may be the reason.

HELPS PROTECT AGAINST BOTH TYPES OF DIABETES

IMPROVES IMMUNITY

Iodine protects us from two toxic elements – fluoride and bromide, by competing with them for their place in our tissues. These toxins are in our water, hot tubs, non-organic foods, and some soft drinks and baked goods. Bromide is even used in some asthma drugs. If you don’t have enough iodine, chances are you have too much fluoride and bromide. Sufficient iodine pulls these toxins out of your body.

Substances that interfere with iodine

Chlorine – present in most city water supplies – unless you de-chlorinate your water, you are being exposed to thyroid-lowering gases whenever you bathe, shower, or have a drink of water.

Fluorine

Bromide or Bromine – If you are exposed to a lot of bromine, your body will not hold on to the iodine that it needs. And iodine affects every tissue in your body -- not just your thyroid.

Found in:

• Some pesticides (particularly strawberries) – try to eat organic whenever possible

• Medications such as Atrovent Inhaler, Atrovent Nasal Spray, Pro-Banthine (for ulcers), and anesthesia agents

• Many baked goods – including the ingredient “potassium bromate†- You probably are not aware of this, but nearly every time you eat bread in a restaurant or consume a hamburger or hotdog bun you are consuming bromide, as it is commonly used in flours. Pepperidge Farm and other successful companies manage to use only unbromated flour

• Mountain Dew (one of the worst beverages you can find), Fresca, Squirt, all citrus flavored sodas, and orange Gatorade all contain bromide in the form of brominated vegetable oils (BVOs). Drinking beverages with bromide causes low thyroid function in some people.

• Plastics – like those used to make computers

• Fire retardants (common one is polybromo diphenyl ethers or PBDEs) used in fabrics, carpets, upholstery, and mattresses

• Bromine-based hot tub and swimming pool treatments

• Potassium bromate is also found in some toothpastes and mouthwashes, where it's added as an antiseptic and astringent. It has been found to cause bleeding and inflammation of gums in people using these products.

Since bromide competes for the same receptors in the body as iodine—a critical mineral that supports normal thyroid function—it’s no wonder that low thyroid function (hypothyroidism) is so prevalent!

Bromide toxicity is another consequence - when you ingest or absorb bromine, it displaces iodine, and this iodine deficiency leads to an increased risk for cancer of the breast, thyroid gland, ovary and prostate -- cancers that we see

at alarmingly high rates today.

Iodine levels have significantly dropped due to bromine exposure; declining consumption of iodized salt, eggs, fish, and sea vegetables; and soil depletion.

Trying to avoid bromine is like trying to avoid air pollution -- all you can do is minimize your exposure. That said, here are a few things you can do to minimize your risk:

1. Eat organic as often as possible. Wash all produce thoroughly. This will minimize your pesticide exposure.

2. Avoid eating or drinking from (or storing food and water in) plastic containers. Use glass and safe ceramic vessels.

3. Look for organic whole-grain breads and flour. Grind you own grain, if possible. Look for the "no bromine" or "bromine-free" label on commercial baked goods.

4. Avoid sodas. Drink natural, filtered water instead.

5. If you own a hot tub, look into an ozone purification system. Such systems make it possible to keep the water clean with minimal chemical treatments.

6. Look for personal care products that are as chemical-free as possible. Remember -- anything going on you, goes in you.

7. When in a car or a building, open windows as often as possible, preferably on opposing sides of the space for cross ventilation. Utilize fans to circulate the air. Chemical pollutants are much higher inside buildings (and cars) than outside.

If you don’t have enough iodine, chances are you have too much fluoride and bromide. Sufficient iodine pulls these toxins out of your body.

Aspirin, blood thinner meds, and steroids can result in iodine deficiency thyroid problems. If you’re taking these, ask your doctor to check your thyroid function.

Copper overload—from birth control pills and copper IUDs, copper pipes and cookware, dental fillings and crowns, and foods (cocoa and chocolate, yeast, soy, and even tea)—can also suppress thyroid function. Elevated tissue levels of copper are frequently linked to a sluggish thyroid. So be sure to get enough zinc—from eggs, grass-fed meats, poultry, seafood, and pumpkin seeds—to keep copper in balance.

CORRECTING AN IODINE DEFICIENCY:

Dr. Nan Fuchs wrote: “I've had women come into my office who look like the poster child for underactive thyroid. They're overweight, they're losing their hair and eyebrows, their skin is dry, and they tell me they feel cold all the time. Yet when their doctor gave them a thyroid test, it came back normal!

When I put these women on iodine supplementation, their conditions improve dramatically. Their skin improves, they stop losing their hair, and they finally lose that excess weight — and keep it off.â€

The RDA for iodine is 150 mcg. This amount was set based on the amount needed to prevent goiter. This amount will prevent goiter but it will not prevent breast cancer or its precurser fibrocystic breast disease or other serious diseases and symptoms listed above.

Breast tissue and other reproductive organs require much more iodine than the thyroid gland. Many researchers now believe that you may need 100 to 400 times the RDI.

The average consumption of iodine from seaweed by the mainland Japanese is nearly 14 mg. They have some of the lowest incidence of iodine-deficiency diseases like goiter, hypothyroidism, and cancers of the reproductive system (breast, ovaries, and uterus).

The Japanese consume 89 times more iodine than Americans due to their daily consumption of sea vegetables, and they have reduced rates of many chronic diseases, including the lowest rates of cancer in the world.

There is a large body of evidence suggesting that low cancer rates in Japan are a result of their substantially higher iodine levels. Iodine has documented antioxidant and anti-proliferative properties.

A strong case can be made that your iodine RDA should be closer to what the Japanese consume daily, if breast cancer rates are any indication. Low iodine can lead to fibrocystic breast disease in women (density, lumps and bumps), hyperplasia, and atypical mammary tissue. Such fibrocystic changes in breast tissue have been shown to reverse in the presence of iodine supplementation after 3-4 months.

Increase your intake with mineral-rich sea vegetables (agar, hijiki, kombu, nori, and wakame) at least twice a week. You can eat as much seaweed as you want. Brown seaweeds are highest in iodine. They include all forms of kelp. Fucus, also known as Bladderwrack, is considered to be the best for underactive thyroids. Hijiki and Sargassum are two other forms of brown seaweeds. Red seaweeds include dulse, nori, Irish moss, and Gracillaria.

Since toasting doesn’t affect seaweed’s iodine content, you can eat it dried or dried and toasted. Toast some in the oven or in a dry frying pan to see if you prefer that taste. You can also powdered seaweed to your food or add larger pieces of seaweed to soups, grains, or vegetables. Seaweed should be an enjoyable addition to your diet, not an unpleasant experience. If you simply don’t like its taste, you can get it in capsules.

Use 5-10 grams of mixed brown and red seaweed for thyroid problems. This is about 1 ½ teaspoons per day. If you’ve been told that your thyroid is borderline-low, eating seaweed makes sense. But remember, you need to eat seaweed every day or take iodine in a different form.

Not all seaweeds are safe to eat. Some come from polluted waters.

Be more cautious and talk to a naturopath if you’re on thyroid meds and want to try seaweed.

Sea vegetables (agar, arame, hijiki, kombu, nori, sea palms, and wakame) have some of the highest mineral content of any plants—especially calcium, iron, and iodine (the latter of which supports thyroid health)—all vital for women). Sea veggies are well known to protect against environmental pollutants; McGill researchers find that the alginic acid they contain reduces the amount of radioactive materials absorbed through the intestinal wall. If you haven’t yet developed a taste for these superfoods, a dash of Seaweed Gomasio (a seasoning combining them with sea salt) on other foods will do just fine. Use iodine-rich Seaweed Gomasio to season your food.

m418004.JPG

Instead of using seaweed to boost your iodine levels, you might consider taking an iodine supplement. Iodoral is a very good one.

When we take 50 mg of iodine/iodide a day, it acts as an adaptogen, regulating various body functions. This is the amount that most of us need.

Not just any iodine will do. Kelp and iodized salt just won’t give you even close to the 50 mg required amount. Neither will seaweed nor fish, unless you eat enough of them every single day. The Japanese have adequate iodine, but we can’t get enough from our diet unless we eat high-iodine seaweed every single day. We’re extremely deficient. We’ve been on a low-iodine diet all our lives and they haven’t. And it’s rare for most to eat seaweed daily.

Some forms of iodine are harmful. Iodoral is not. All of us need a combination of iodine and iodide, the two forms of iodine used throughout our bodies. Iodoral and Lugol are the only supplements containing these two nutrients. Lugol, however, tastes foul.

You may need 1 to 4 tablets of Iodoral, a combination of 5 mg of iodine and 7.5 mg of potassium iodide. Additional research finds that vitamin C improves the transport of iodine in the body, so it may be best to take Iodoral with Vitamin C.

Studies show that women who weigh about 110 pounds need at least 5 mg of iodine a day for normal breast function. If you’re heavier, you will likely need more.

Start off slowly over a 4 week period.

Take 1 pill for 30 days

Then 2 pills for 30 days

Then maybe 3 for 30 days

Then maybe 4 for 30 days

Then back down to 3, 2, and 1 - gradually – see how much your body needs to maintain

Your body will know....listen to it...

One Iodoral tablet provides 12.5 milligrams of iodine/iodide which is about the amount the average Japanese consumed in 1964 in their everyday diet.

Iodoral is the best way to get the recommended amount of iodine.

I did the diet once, but only lasted half the time requested. We aren't a processed food family or a high sugar family. As in we consume no forms of cane sugar. BUT, I found that there weren't enough suggested meals in the book and on top of that some of the foods {lemon, avocado, etc.} were setting off my migraines.

Pela, did you use recipes outside of the book? Just curious..

Asta, I'm not on any medications, so hopefully no chance of any thing bad happening. I think it's a very moderate kind of diet, nothing too dramatic from what I can tell, but I haven't read through the whole book yet.

Negin, that's a pile of info - I'll try to digest it in the next little while. Thanks.

Kolamum - thanks for your input - I haven't looked at the meals in-depth yet, so maybe I'll have to bring in 'outside' meals, to make it more interesting.

Peela, did you use recipes outside of the book? Just curious..

I seem to remember that I did, kolamum- I just used the basic principles- it's a low fat diet with whole foods. There are certain foods in there that are good to use regularly, such as LSA and fresh juices- that are key to the diet- and plenty of normal foods- vegetables, rice, fish, wholemeal bread, fruit etc. I would say that my normal diet is probably more limited in many ways than that diet, except I am not normally a low fat person. But I am flexible and after getting a feel for the recipes, I just wing it, keeping out the dairy etc that is restricted.

I am well aware of how difficult it is to feed a family while doing a specialised diet for oneself or different family members, though- it is work. I thought this diet was relatively good in that respect, though.

Oo, it wasn't a problem for my family at all! We don't normally do low fat here, but we eat gobs of veggies, whole grains, etc. So that was all normal for us. The naturopath who suggested it to me even admitted it wouldn't be too far out from what we normally do.

The juice was different & then no dairy, all though I rarely have dairy now. I struggle when my menus look the same over and over again. ;) And I think I struggled more because I can't do seafood and I can't do nuts! I remember the nuts being a big issue because eating nuts gives me an instant migraine.

I made it to the middle section where you aren't suppose to eat any meat. That's not a huge deal for me except for my migraine limitations. :( I couldn't do soy or nuts so I was in a very limited scope and stressed myself out so I came back out of that phase. :lol:

Did you do the raw juice part?

ETA: I'm not being negative about the diet I'm truly interested in making it from one end to the other despite my limitations. ;)

Asta, I'm not on any medications, so hopefully no chance of any thing bad happening. I think it's a very moderate kind of diet, nothing too dramatic from what I can tell, but I haven't read through the whole book yet.

Negin, that's a pile of info - I'll try to digest it in the next little while. Thanks.

Kolamum - thanks for your input - I haven't looked at the meals in-depth yet, so maybe I'll have to bring in 'outside' meals, to make it more interesting.

Cool. Glad to hear that. I hope you start feeling better soon.

a