Menu

Taking our first break -- ideas for squeezing in fun lessons?

Alicia64

I don't think my boys have rigorous schedules at all. But they've been dragging lately and a friend said, "it's time for a break."

So they're having a solid 20 days off.

One asked, ". . . but what about Story of the World? Can we keep reading that?"

The other asked if we could continue following our drawing book.

Both fine of course. And I'm reading aloud a ton to them -- more than I usually do. Right now we're reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. (More read aloud suggestions appreciated!!)

We're also doing some fun field trips -- we're visiting the church where Patrick Henry gave his famous speech and watching an actor deliver it.

I'm not rabid -- I swear I'm not. I'm fairly casual, but I'd love any fun suggestions you have for squeezing in lessons/learning without them knowing I'm doing it. Ex: they don't think read alouds have anything to do with lessons. :001_smile:

Maybe cooking? Planting containers?

I'm open for any ideas you do! TIA!!

Alley

Just because you are not doing lessons does not mean you are not learning. IMO, some of the best learning happens when you are not even thinking about it. A field trip to the lake on a windy day inspires a comparison to what it must be like near an ocean. Trying to find out exactly what that weird bug is by using the field guide sparks a frenzy about what that other bug on the page is. Observing a cloud formation led to an illustration of contour drawing.

If they want to continue some studies like SOTW by all means continue, but you might also want them to take an active role in what they want to learn about. No reports, worksheets or anything else needed.