Menu

Vocabulary from Classical Roots

How far in the series should I go? I think the WTM suggests doing them all, but in SWB's audio (lit analysis or a writing one), she says you don't need to do them all because the roots get more and more obscure. I was just wondering, then, how far we should go in that series. Any ideas?

We only made it through Book A. I wasn't impressed with my kids' retention, so we switched to MCT's Caesar's English and wow, what a difference! They are remembering their vocab, calling it out to me during read-alouds, and bringing it to my attention when they read history/literature books themselves. We are in Caesar's English book 2, and so far, so wonderful!

We only made it through Book A. I wasn't impressed with my kids' retention, so we switched to MCT's Caesar's English and wow, what a difference! They are remembering their vocab, calling it out to me during read-alouds, and bringing it to my attention when they read history/literature books themselves. We are in Caesar's English book 2, and so far, so wonderful!

I know. I haven't been impressed with dd's retention either. I'll have to look into MCT. Thanks! Oh, and why do you think they are retaining more with MCT?

My younger son used VCR book D this year in 11th grade as part of his AP Lit class. He enjoyed it, saying that he liked that it included the occasional word he didn't already know! If we do English together at home next year, we will use either VCR book E or Vocabulary for the College-Bound Student (used and enjoyed by my older son). We have always appreciated good vocab books, and we have also enhanced our vocabulary through reading wonderful books that include lots of big and/or precise words - books by Dickens, P G Wodehouse, Booth Tarkington, Tolkien, CS Lewis, etc. Hope this helps!

Blessings,

April

:iagree:

MCT's upper level (WWW) scares me, but CE is priceless at our house.

Julie

All I can say is we just started using it. DD really needs to improve her vocabulary and someone recommended this program to me that really liked it. So I'm starting Book A with both mydd (going into 11th) and my ds (going into 7th). I was hoping to get through several of the books with her next year while just the one with ds. I am planning on making some of my own review lessons with her throughout to improve retention. I don't think ANY program will work without constant review ...so I just plan to implement the constant review myself.

All I can say is we just started using it. DD really needs to improve her vocabulary and someone recommended this program to me that really liked it. So I'm starting Book A with both mydd (going into 11th) and my ds (going into 7th). I was hoping to get through several of the books with her next year while just the one with ds. I am planning on making some of my own review lessons with her throughout to improve retention. I don't think ANY program will work without constant review ...so I just plan to implement the constant review myself.

That's probably true. Any ideas on how to make that review happen?

Also, I looked into Caesar's English, but it is written for younger grades. Is it still appropriate to use for high school?

To ABQ and others looking for a great Latin root vocabulary program. Me and mine are loving the Avenues of Mind root and vocabulary program. I just got them and they kids are loving it and learning them so fast. I got them at the FPEA homeschool convention but you can get them at their website as well.

Good luck,

Solly

I hope it will be good program because I just bought book A. We have done Vocab-u-lit previously, and I really liked the literature/contextual approach to vocabulary. We weren't doing much with the derivatives from our Latin program and I felt the need to add a derivative program that provided some extra practice. I guess we'll see...