Menu

2010/11 Year in Review

How did your year go? What did you get done? Big wins? Big losses?

I don't blog. It was a very trying year for us. I learned that my ds 10 is too much like me. :tongue_smilie: He too likes change and he became unhappy with many materials that I thought were working great. I learned that it takes a lot more time with a first grader in the mix. :D I learned I have to have a more organized approach when making lots of changes. We swtiched to a lot of new stuff this year and it was a rough transition. We are switching again, but now I know what I need to make it easier. My biggest win was teaching my youngest son how to read. I could cry everytime I hear him reading! :001_wub:

We'll be wrapping up with a field trip tomorrow.

One of my favorite things is always the ton of books we read aloud and discuss.

This year, I am very happy that I discovered a decent outside teacher for both writing (to take the onus off me, and make it simpler for me to point out the need of correction without so much of an argument or resistance), as well as physical sciences.

One thing that got me down was that trying to do three languages just didn't allow enough time for my son to do as much reading at the level he was capable of doing. That will change next year.

I am very happy that the different school groups in my area got their acts together and have already advertised their classes for next year. I think this is the first time this has ever happened for me. Knowing which outside classes he'll do and when allows me to better build my programming around that outside time.

We've still got a couple months to go so it's really I bit early for me to be doing a year in review, but I can't resist. :D

DD 14 is a high schooler; I still can't quite believe it. :) She's having such an amazing year, especially with history/lit. It's been so much fun exploring ancient literature with her, I have never seen a teen so passionate about the great books. She's also turning into a language maniac just like me. This year she started learning Icelandic and has been doing a great job self-teaching. Her violin playing is coming along beautifully and she plays so well in her quartet. The one big flop was Traditional Logic, it just wasn't for us.

DD 13 started learning Greek and loves it, ancient history has been a hit as well. She's my outdoors girl and always begging for nature study. She's also very artistic and has done some lovely art projects this year. AoPS was a disaster and it took me too long to figure that out. I finally have and she's doing NEM which is a much better fit.

DS 9's writing improved by leaps and bounds this year. We spent a lot of time curled up on the couch reading about Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, Babylonians, and Mesopotamians. He had a slow start with Latin, but he's doing well now. Too often I slacked off on copywork, dication, and memorisation. I'm making it a goal to do these everyday next year.

DD 7 has become so independent. She loves no longer being the school "baby" and likes to do math and English mostly by herself. She's also my drama queen, acting out all our read alouds. I feel guilty about my lack of craft skills. I know DD would really like to do more, but doing about one a month wears me out. :tongue_smilie:

DS 6 is my k'er. He's learning to read! Teaching your child to read has got to be one of the most amazing things ever. Miquon has been hit and miss; some days it's great, other days, not so much. History and science have been very informal, just listening in to our read alouds.

On the whole, it's been a great year!