Menu

Reading, reading, reading....

Reading has clicked for DS5. He picks it up so quickly now and loves reading his readers. That is part of the problem: he loves reading his readers. It has become part of his stalling technique for going to bed. He wants to read all of his readers. I have been letting this happen (and start things a little earlier when possible) because I love his enthusiasm. However, sometimes I am just so tired at the end of the day and want to go to bed!

What is the best way to handle this? Is this just an initial excitement about being able to read? I am getting worried because he is adding a new reader every day or two and this could eventually take hours. :lol:

We have a set time for reading at bedtime (assuming everyone is bathed, brushed teeth, etc. on time) where I am in there, and then I'll let ds read in his room for an hour or so by himself.

It's fun, huh? DD just started reading this last week, I love it.

It has become part of his stalling technique for going to bed. He wants to read all of his readers.

I think you hit the nail on the head ;) Would you tolerate other forms of stalling...getting up for a drink, to ask a question, etc? I'd let him pick a certain number, (the same number each night), make sure to start early enough, and get to bed at normal bedtime ;) You won't discourage his new-found love for reading. He can read more in his free time in the morning. It's exciting, isn't it?! :D

We have a set time for reading at bedtime (assuming everyone is bathed, brushed teeth, etc. on time) where I am in there, and then I'll let ds read in his room for an hour or so by himself.

It's fun, huh? DD just started reading this last week, I love it.

It is so fun! This has seriously been the most amazing experience for me. I had been dreading teaching reading because I had the mentality that you needed to be a trained teacher to do it. It has been such a fun process though! Congrats on your new reader!!!! That's a great suggestion, BTW.

We usually read out loud to our kids in the evening instead of letting them read before bed. However, they are allowed to read *after* "lights out." We took the cue from my sister, who has given each of her children so far a book light at a certain birthday (I think the sixth) to indicate that they are old enough to read some after the lights have gone out for their younger siblings.

We've altered this even more by using the closet light as their "night light," which not only allows me to take my youngest out of his crib when he's awake in the middle of the night without stubbing my toe on any misplaced toys, but allows his older siblings just enough light to read (the oldest) or to "read" (the middle, who's actually just looking at pictures) until they go to sleep.

So, pretty much the same as above, but modified for having multiple kids in the room. Allowing reading after "lights out" as a privilege has really worked to keep my son motivated to read!

We have a half hour time period after teeth brushing, jammies, read-alouds, etc., where you have to be in your room on your bed, but you may be reading. After that half-hour, it is lights out. I like a set time frame idea because then he could read however many he can fit in during that period.

When DS1 was 3-4ish, he wanted me to read book after book after book after book to him, which was great, but... I had to limit it. So I instituted a 3 book rule. He could pick any 3 books, and we would read those, then it was bed time. A side effect of this was that he picked up addition/subtraction within 3 very quickly. :D

Set aside some reading time earlier in the day where he gets to read more, and either set a timer or pick a particular number of books, and say that's it. He can read more the next day during the set aside reading time. :)

You seem to be the lone supporter of what I have been doing. :lol: I do feel like he is using it as a delaying tactic, but he LOVES reading and I don't want to squelch that!

We let our kids stay up late to read in bed as a reward for good behavior. So long as I don't hear them, I'm good with it :). If I hear them or they come out, lights off ;). My 4yo reads at a 2nd grade level and my 6 yo at a 5th (ETA as a result of staying up late...). What's the harm in that??? Please mommy, can I stay up late to eat my vegetables?? sure honey!

Edited by kathkath
ETA

You seem to be the lone supporter of what I have been doing. :lol: I do feel like he is using it as a delaying tactic, but he LOVES reading and I don't want to squelch that!

I don't think you'll squelch his love of reading if you tell him the limit before you start, and if you give him plenty of time during the day to read. I limit books before bed, yet my boys still LOVE it when I read to them at night, and my oldest LOVES reading to himself (I plan on getting him a reading light of some sort for his birthday next month actually).

We let our kids stay up late to read in bed as a reward for good behavior. So long as I don't hear them, I'm good with it :). If I hear them or they come out, lights off ;). My 4yo reads at a 2nd grade level and my 6 yo at a 5th (ETA as a result of staying up late...). What's the harm in that??? Please mommy, can I stay up late to eat my vegetables?? sure honey!

I was under the impression that this child wasn't reading to himself, but was reading to his mom? I could be wrong on that though. I'm totally cool with letting him stay up late to read to himself, but seeing as how he's a beginner reader, he probably is still wanting his mom to hear him read.

I was under the impression that this child wasn't reading to himself, but was reading to his mom? I could be wrong on that though. I'm totally cool with letting him stay up late to read to himself, but seeing as how he's a beginner reader, he probably is still wanting his mom to hear him read.

You are right. He has just been reading for a couple of weeks so he definitely needs my support. He can read the first 4 or 5 readers alone, but needs me to point to the words on the more recent ones.

I think you are right that I need to limit things. Maybe I will do a second reading lesson right after dinner and he can read them all then.