Menu

Grade 5 curriculum options for Asperger's son.

Hi there, I've been researching programs for next year! Im wondering if I could get advice on the most suitable program for writing, grammar, logic and maths, for a child with HFA/Asperger's. Im using mcp maths and it's working well but as it ends in Grade 6, I'm considering Teaching textbooks.(my ds,10, struggles with Maths.) Which would be the most user friendly programs. I cant view any as I cant get them here in South Africa. I dont want to buy anything unsuitable again, as I've done many times before!!! Also what exactly is a workbox - how does that work? Thanks, any advice appreciated. P.s - I have not done a specific logic or writing program with him before, just comprehension, dictation, narration, spelling, EM grade 4 grammar and a little creative writing.:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Angela,

I am using Teaching Textbooks for my son who has just finished 5th grade and he has done wonderfully. I will be getting 6th grade math Teaching Textbooks for next year. When I pulled him out of PS in the end of 4th grade he was in 3rd grade math, which is just a bit over 1 year ago, and now because of Teaching Textbooks he is ready for 6th grade math.....which is quite a jump in one year. He was diagnosed with High functioning autism at 2.8 years old and he was diagnosed at 10 years old with aspergers. I definitely recommend Teaching Textbooks. Good Luck. Lillian:001_smile:

HI there! My going-into 5th grade Aspie guy will be doing the following, after MUCH trial and error:

Math (undecided to keep MM or move to a drill and kill like Saxon. Or add something like R&S into MM).

He's hyperlexic so prefers anything he can read and get his hands on rather than watch- believe it or not.

VP History - the cards work for him. Then we supplement with the textbook and VP History suggestions. He has a great memory so we're going with his strengths there and actually adding in Classical Conversations (Foundations only).

Literature: VP Lit suggestions but we *NEED* to add in more comprehension work so I'm looking at options there. I'm thinking Jacob's Ladder

Science - Apologia works. He likes the science videos as well (Bill Nye, Beakman's, and Magic School Bus) but he stop/starts/FF/rewinds them constantly - completely nervewracking to endure by others in the room but it's how he watches it to absorb anything.

Grammar- We switched to R&S and the drill&kill of it (again) works for him. I want to add in MCT materials, we'll see....

Logic Liftoff series.

I think we're going to go for LAtin Alive next year.

Writing- ugh. This has been tough. He can write well just not in any organized manner and getting him to do so is like pulling teeth. I printed off some printables on STep Up for Writing from the internet and BAM! 10 sentence organized paragraph with a topic sentence, 3 facts w/supporting detail sentences, and a conclusion! I'm trying to get my hands on the text now. The author uses a 4 light traffic light and any gimmick like that seems to be KEY for my guy. (I'm also looking at, but undecided on a few of the writing programs up on the K-8 forum right now. And I really do hope to try SWB's WWS when it debuts!) My goal for the summer is to nail down good paragraph writing (we'll probably add in EPS's Paragraph book in a month or two). I think eventually we'll add in IEW but ds does not do well with videos so anything that involves HIM watching a video would not go over well (i.e. the science videos). Quick visual clues, yes. Videos, no.

Oh and anything with a song (the VP song, Lyrical LIfe science, etc....) he does well with. Again, he has a fantastic visual and auditory memory as long as it's spoonfed to him in brief intervals.

Art history + composer studies (one each a month).

Need art lessons, thinking Mark Kissler's ...

Plus piano lessons 2x/week and tennis lessons 1-2 x/week.