Menu

What electives are you doing with your 8th grade boy?

mompotter

I am trying to think of some choices to give to my ds for electives for next year. In fact I would really like to start over the summer. He needs a "hobby" or something other than computer games, game systems and teasing his sisters.

He is very interested in Lego animation and I paid for him to take a class last fall. The problem is, they didn't cover the computer aspect of it and I can't help him. If anyone knows of a good tutorial or something to help with that it would also be appreciated. I use Mac and have iMovie available for him to use. I just don't know much about the iMovie program. He also has a pc in his room with Window's on it but I don't know anything about pc's and really would be of no use to him.

I have nephews that are in 7th and 8th grades, who aren't homeschooled. Here are some of their electives offerings:

General Art (painting, drawing)

Fine Art (ceramics, fibers)

Band/Choir

Theater Arts

Typing

Wood Working

Speech

Debate

Yearbook (a homeschooler could do photography or an e-zine)

Leadership (they do Civics projects that a homeschooler could do - town meetings, voter reg., etc. Volunteering might fall here, too)

These nephews aren't Boy Scouts, but I have other nephews who are. The Scout books have lots of cool ideas for keeping boys productively busy, and I might use them downline as an elective of sorts (here - find something in the book to do, and do it!)

For a homeschooler I'd consider first aid course, gardening/landscape, digital photography/editing, pubic library aide, and athletic training (biking, weights, running, swimming, etc.)

"Electives" as in something for which he gets credit? Or just activities and classes he does for fun?

If it's the former, my son is getting credit this year for keyboarding (taken online through Florida Virtual School), art history/appreciation (put together myself), music history/appreciation (if he can find the CD-ROM and get back to it) and choir/vocal performance (singing with a local choir and taking private voice lessons).

If it's the latter (since you mentioned him needing a hobby), my son takes three dance classes a week and does drama classes and community theatre. He's active with our church's youth group and (when he doesn't have a rehearsal on the first Saturday of the month) does some model rocketry with his dad. He's not getting academic credit for those.

Hmm, I don't really have any "electives" planned, in terms of "fun classes". For some reason, our core classes for upcoming 8th grade seem like a full plate already:glare:.

But as far as DS12 getting a hobby, besides "screen time", I would love ideas!

He might like this Cryptology elective I put together. There's actually a lot of computer related stuff in modern cryptology.:001_smile:

The History of Cryptology

The Code Book

http://www.amazon.com/Code-Book-Scie.../dp/0385495323

In Code: a Mathematical Journey

http://www.amazon.com/Code-Mathemati.../dp/0761123849

Decoding Nazi Secrets

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/decoding/

The Emperor's Codes

http://www.amazon.com/Emperors-Codes.../dp/155970568X

The History of Espionage

Stealing Secrets, Telling Lies: How Spies and Codebreakers Helped Shape the Twentieth Century

http://www.amazon.com/Stealing-Secre.../dp/1574883674

Hidden Secrets: The Complete History of Espionage and the Technology Used to Support It

http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Secrets.../dp/1552975657

The history of espionage : the clandestine world of surveillance, spying and intelligence, from ancient times to the post-9/11 world

http://www.amazon.com/History-Espion...pr_product_top

The Math of Cryptology (I'm fairly certain that none of these require more than pre algebra, except possibly some of the MEP units)

MEP's Code Units

http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/edu/...resources.rhtm

AoPS Introduction to Number Theory

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/S...?item=intro:nt

Elementary Cryptanalysis

http://www.amazon.com/Cryptanalysis-...ref=pd_sim_b_1

I made a huge list of possible "electives" for my two older ones this past year. I had them rank them in order from most to least favorite choice and tried to choose the top three for each. I envisioned 4-8 weeks on each one, depending on what it was.

We didn't do all that I had intended, and some went better than others, but as a result of this endeavor, we actually finished Drawing with Children (only my 3rd or 4th try at that book), DS spent time doing detailed drawings of aircraft and DD did architectural drawing. DD also did music theory through Music Ace. Some of the choices we didn't get to (swimming lessons were put on hold due to finances) and DS's interest in an in-depth study of airplanes and building a model jet engine waned before we got to it on our schedule. DS ended up taking leather-working and wood-working at Boy Scout camp (he had chosen them in the spring for the upcoming year, then had the opportunity to earn those badges at camp over the summer.)

I think if you have a local Rec center, YMCA or other similar facility, you may find opportunities for introductory classes in things like fencing, karate, racquetball, art, swimming or other activities which might grow into a hobby and could count for school credit if that interests you. You might see if a local music store offers beginning lessons in an instrument that interests your son. If you rent from the store you can give him an introduction without a major commitment. And if he does decide to stick with often the store will count some part of your rental toward ownership.

Perhaps starting a lawn-mowing/yard care business or volunteering to help with a summer camp for younger kids would be a possibility too.

Next year, my 7th graders are doing two 12-14 wk electives. First, is a cooking elective using the book Cooking with Children by Marion Cunningham. It includes 15 cooking lessons. I found this book used on Amazon cheap.Then, they will be going through the book Power Point Made Very Easy by Scholastic. I purchased this as a ebook @ Teacher Express. They are having their $1 sale this week, and I noticed the book is on sale.

This year they did a 12 week first aid elective and a 12 week digital photography elective. Both were very well received. I just used free internet resources for these.

I would also have considered sewing or woodworking, but I just couldn't put them together as easily as what I mentioned above.

Hope you find something fun!:001_smile:

There are LEGO related camps and engineering camps offered by universities around here for junior high and high school level kids. During the school year, there are LEGO leagues that compete together, and there's a robotics team for high schoolers, too, through LEGO. I'd check with my local universities and perhaps 4-H, if you have a good organization in your area. Some groups around here are run through 4-H.

I'd also check into short wave radio building/operation clubs and perhaps aviation opportunities, if he's interested in those.

Sports?

Learning to play an instrument? Lots of boys this age are interested in guitar....

Raising animals through 4-H, if you have the space and inclination?

My son seems to like pottery work, so I'm looking for more of those sorts of opportunities for him.... Some sort of art, such as cartooning, etc.?

I know there has been a vendor at convention here the past few years (don't recall seeing them this year) who markets motion-stop animation videos. I'd try looking at the Timberdoodle catalog, perhaps, Rainbow Resource Center, etc. for that as I don't recall their name....

He might like this Cryptology elective I put together. There's actually a lot of computer related stuff in modern cryptology.:001_smile:

Thank you! What a wonderful idea and fun thing to learn about.

Do you have a schedule for this? hint, hint :)

Edited by Ann in IA

I agree with the guitar suggestion. My son is doing this now and picking it up very quickly. He's enjoying it and gets him doing something else other than Legos and computer ;)

He's also doing an "apprenticeship" with a friend this summer that is remodeling his house from the studs. He helps once a week for about 4 hrs and he's really enjoying it. He's done a little plumbing, drywall, positioning cabinets, and power washing so far. I really think this might lead to something in the future for him.

Have you asked you son what he might be interested that is "out of the norm" for him now?

I have nephews that are in 7th and 8th grades, who aren't homeschooled. Here are some of their electives offerings:

General Art (painting, drawing)

Fine Art (ceramics, fibers)

Band/Choir

Theater Arts

Typing

Wood Working

Speech

Debate

Yearbook (a homeschooler could do photography or an e-zine)

Leadership (they do Civics projects that a homeschooler could do - town meetings, voter reg., etc. Volunteering might fall here, too)

These nephews aren't Boy Scouts, but I have other nephews who are. The Scout books have lots of cool ideas for keeping boys productively busy, and I might use them downline as an elective of sorts (here - find something in the book to do, and do it!)

For a homeschooler I'd consider first aid course, gardening/landscape, digital photography/editing, pubic library aide, and athletic training (biking, weights, running, swimming, etc.)

Thank you. This list and others are getting my brain going. :)

I am hoping to just spend the summer getting him interested in something and add in one or two electives for next year (maybe related, maybe not).