Menu

Christian book recommendation for a just-turned-12yog trying to grow up too fast?

The 6th grader that I'm teaching just turned 12 last month, and I am very concerned about her. She has begun to develop physically, and she tries to look and act older than she is--clothes, hair, make-up. She doesn't actually date--her parents wouldn't allow that--but she changes her Facebook relationship status frequently. She has been "in a relationship" with at least 4 different boys in the past month. Sometimes these "relationships" have lasted less than a day; a few hours after she breaks up with one boy, she is "in a relationship" with another boy. As I said, she doesn't actually date any of these boys--she sees a few of them occasionally when she's at the skating rink or bowling center or movies with her family or other friends--but to her and her friends, these relationships are real. She has received criticism from other kids about changing boyfriends so often, and I am afraid that she is developing a reputation that will follow her for a long time. She really is quite naive and completely clueless about what she's already doing to her reputation. Her mom has talked to her, I've talked to her, and EK (my dd16, greatly admired by the 12yo & who chooses not to date), has talked to her, but she seems determined to continue down this path. This girl is usually very eager to please her mom and teachers, but I guess this is her way of rebelling. Her mom, a deeply devoted Christian, is at a loss about what to do. The 12yo has an older sister who strayed from her upbringing, became an addict, and rejected Christianity. The mom is terrified that the same thing will happen with the younger girl. She doesn't want to take away the girl's Facebook privileges because now that she is homeschooling (this is her first year), she has little other contact with her former classmates and other friends.

I am looking for a book for her to read--Christian content is a must--one that speaks frankly about the value of a good reputation and the wisdom of not rushing to grow up. I've seen BeTween: A Girl's Guide to Life by Vicki Courtney, and I think I'm looking for something along that line. She doesn't really enjoy reading, but the format looks like it would appeal to her. Is that a good one? Other suggestions, please?

ETA: For the record, I think the mom should get rid of the Facebook account, but I don't expect that will happen. The mom doesn't want to cut her off from contact with her friends. The girl is really a home-body, very quiet and shy, and she doesn't play sports, and she doesn't enjoy organized group activities. Believe me, I've tried.

Edited by ereks mom

Has her mother thought to simply get rid of the facebook account? Also how about redirecting her interests to sports or some type of all girls activity.

:iagree:

I'm currently reading "Beautiful Girlhood" by Karen Andreola, with my dd11. You might like to check it out.

Beautiful Girlhood is a great book. There's a study guide that goes with it, but I think for my DD, I'm just going to get her a really pretty journal and let her do her studying in that.

I'm agreeing with getting rid of the FB account.

The Secret Keeper Girls series by Dana Gresh has 12 year old girls as the main characters and address all sorts of preteen/teen issues such as modesty, popularity, dealing with parents, boys, etc and are dealt with in a very appropriate and wholesome manner. They are fairly short and easy to read for someone who doesn't enjoy reading.

Beautiful Girlhood is a great book. There's a study guide that goes with it, but I think for my DD, I'm just going to get her a really pretty journal and let her do her studying in that.

I didn't know that.. thanks for the info! My dd would love to have some kind of study book for it!