Menu

How much writing does your 8th grader do?

took an online writing course (Laural Tree Tutorials) that required 6 different papers of differing types (persuasive, comparison, personal, short story, research, summary). He submitted drafts for review and completed final copies for grading. Additionally he worked with a writing tutor on responding to a prompt in a timed setting.

He also did some writing that was required for his science class - not sure if this "counts". He did lab reports and a power point presentation on a reseach topic.

What I really wanted to do but didn't get to was a literary essay. Since he'll be attending public school high school next year, I may try to get to this this summer. :001_smile:

Edited by Stacy in NJ

We are in Week 3 of 8th grade:

1 essay per week in History or Literature (never both)

1 essay every 3 or 4 weeks in Poetry

online English class - looking at the syllabus, maybe 5-6 papers over the year

day-to-day writing in all classes (outlines, exams, paragraphs, informal essays, etc)

Essays are approximately 1 page typed. I suggest 1-2 pages, but dd doesn't believe she will be needing a 2nd page for any of her essays. :lol:

We just finished 8th grade. I had him work on some form of the writing process everyday. We did Lightning Lit which gave him a writing assignment every other week to every 3 weeks roughly. When he was not working on those writing assignments I had him do writing for other classes, research for science or history or some sort of creative writing assignment. Not everything was a 5 paragraph piece also.