Menu

Please clarify AGAIN for me: confusion over Duke TIP, Epgy and CTY

Can someone please point me to a thread that describes the pros/cons of these programs for a 4th grader? I am considering enrolling DS in Duke TIP, but would love to learn more about EPGY and CTY, and how one program might be better than another. I plan on having my son take the EXPLORE test in 5th grade through Duke, and have him take the SAT in 7th, but unclear on the benefits of the other programs, and how they differ.

ETA: My son is not a fan of online classes, so I don't think EPGY math would be a fit for him. He prefers books, paper and pencil (go figure ;))

Can someone please point me to a thread that describes the pros/cons of these programs for a 4th grader? I am considering enrolling DS in Duke TIP, but would love to learn more about EPGY and CTY, and how one program might be better than another. I plan on having my son take the EXPLORE test in 5th grade through Duke, and have him take the SAT in 7th, but unclear on the benefits of the other programs, and how they differ.

ETA: My son is not a fan of online classes, so I don't think EPGY math would be a fit for him. He prefers books, paper and pencil (go figure ;))

If they offer the test you want, go for it. My only quibble with Duke TIP is that they start the Explore at 5th grade (and last I checked they had you enroll in 4th to take it in 5th, or enroll in 5th to take it in 6th) and I wanted DS to take it in 3rd. CTD/ Northwestern offered it for 3rd, and didn't care that we were out of their usual district, so we went through them instead. We were never planning to take classes or use the camps, so it was really all about getting access to the tests.

For 7th grade we did use Duke TIP, because I knew DS had a shot at awards and it was more convenient to keep that nearby. :) If you don't care about awards (or classes/ camps), you can sign up for the ACT or SAT on your own without a talent search, which is what we've done other than that one 7th grade round.

Thanks. I do want access to the Explore, so I think we'll sign up for Duke TIP. I am not understanding the benefits of CTY, however. I think I understand Stanford EPGY; you'd sign up primarily for the EPGY courses, right? Which we don't want. So I don't think that's an issue.

If someone could clarify the benefits (if any) of CTY for a 4th grader, I would be happy to know. Of course, I just realized the deadline to take the SCAT is in...7 days (well, to register to take the SCAT). Probably won't get on the stick for that one.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I'm having a hard time understanding what any of these are. :confused: my DS will just be in k this year, so I'm sure I don't need anything like this for a while, but I see these mentioned on here and on the davidson forums, and I just can't figure it out. :001_huh: