Menu

Pandia Press - History Odyssey Level Three - anyone used this for high school?

I'm looking ahead a little, obviously :) I want to do the 4 year world history cycle in high school, but am having trouble finding a curriculum I like. I have looked at this, and it looks good but I am concerned that it only has the first two levels and it looks like it has been a few years since the second book came out.

- Has anyone used this? Did you like it? What did you use for the junior and senior years (or what are you planning to use if you aren't that far yet)?

- Does anyone know if they have plans to complete the Level Three books?

TIA!!

Thanks, Kareni! Hmm, we'll just have to see I guess - TRISMS looks like it is meant to be used with IEW? Spielvogel looks all right, are there any curricula out there that use Spielvogel as a spine? I'm not much on making my own programs from scratch, I work at home in addition to homeschooling and there are only so many hours in the day...

Interestingly, if you scroll to the bottom of the thread, it links to another thread where a woman says she used Level 3 with her 8th grader and DIDN'T think it was challenging enough. To each their own I guess! :)

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-130505.html

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-107825.html

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-192426.html

There could be some overlap with Kareni's post, but you sound like a researcher to me. :) (Takes one to know one.)

I don't know what spine, if any, is used in the Level II. There was a recent thread about it being usable for high school, especially younger students?

Thanks Janice! Level II, meh, the spine is the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, which won't work for us. That high-visual, choppy Usborne/DK style of book has never appealed to my dd. Plus, we had the Level Two Middle Ages at one point - I sat down with it and tried to do the first few lessons myself and as a college educated adult, I found it very hard to find the information I needed in the spine - I wonder if maybe Level II was written for the OLD Kingfisher book, and the new one is different, as things were not on the same pages as the HO guide showed, and some people I was trying to do short biographies on appeared to no longer be mentioned in the book at all...

Well, I've got three years, maybe I should make up my own curriculum with Spielvogel as the spine, sounds like there's a place for it!

We found that History Odyssey Level 1 was a nice change from only using Story of the World. For Level 2, the supplemental reading list had some good selections. We started Level 3 (Ancients), and quit. The New History of the World, to us, was stiff and boring (It reminded me of the history books I had to use 35 years ago). We switched over to the suggestions in TWTM and thoroughly enjoyed reading SWB's The History of the Ancient World. We found this book friendly, fun, and easy to read.

For tenth grade, we will be using SWB's The History of the Medieval World. To help with writing projects, I have Excellence in Literature, Reading Through the Classics (British Literature). The first four selections in this book are from the Middle Ages (This is put out by IEW).

We are hoping that SWB's next history book will come out by the time we get to junior year. Otherwise, we will continue with the suggestions in TWTM and continue with Excellence in Literature, American Literature Selections

Hope this helps.

G.V.L.