Menu

How do you do it???

I homeschool my oldest and have for the past two years--and will for the next three, through middle. My youngest is finishing up 1st at home due to the disruption of the earthquake and all. Hubby is deploying next year, so I've thought about homeschooling him next year as well, just so many choices and too much indecision. His elementary school is very good and 2nd grade is probably one of the stronger grades there--providing the teachers stay. This morning, I was thinking that I could afterschool, but am not sure how to go about it. HOw much do you do with your children? How much do you supplement? I've really fallen in love with Singapore math, Sonlight and he LOVES SOTW. When I think of "supplementing" I wonder if it would be too much and then why not just homeschool, right?:confused:

There are also financial, selfish reasons for putting him back in school in the fall. If he's there, then I can sub, help with the yearbook, etc. Like I said, the school is great, and I'd hate to lose that connection. (It's only a k-3 school and we have already decided if we're still here when he goes to 4th, he will be homeschooled then no matter what.)

Too say I'm confused is an understatement.:001_huh:

This is how we do it. We are all home and fed by 6pm. Growing with grammar takes 10-15 minutes to do, then a 15 minute break. Then Singapore math for about 20 minutes to half an hour. While my oldest (in K) is doing math, I work with a four year old on OPGTR. Then comes reading time (20 minutes to half an hour each).

That's during week days. Time consuming subjects (history) we work on the weekend. We read and do projects from story of the world. During the week nights we reinforce what we learned. Also, we spend about 5 minutes a day on English from the Roots Up. It's doable, but requires discipline. We will add science next year, so Saturday will be for history and Sunday for science. On weekends, we accomplish everything by 12pm, so we can go and play the rest of the day.