Menu

SOTW question for different age group

Has anyone ever done 2 different age groups with a different level of SOTW at the same time?? My ds, 10 (5th gr.) will be doing SOTW2 and my dd, soon to be 5 would do SOTW1. Do you think this is to much for me or to early for dd???

I was thinking of just reading with her and doing the maps, some crafts, and coloring. She doesn't write sentences yet. Or should I just be patient and do this the following year with her and have her do SOTW2?

Thanks for any help.

I would keep them all together in the same year of history. But, given how young she is, it probably wouldn't be that difficult to do both years.

Another idea would be to pull whatever picture books come up in either the AG or a library search.

My almost 3yo has loved reading the picture book versions of myths and legends that went along with SOTW-3 this year. (There haven't been too many pure "history" books at her level!) Still, I plan to just continue having her read (or listen to) just the corresponding library books until she's in 3rd grade - when she'll start SOTW-1 (because that's when we'll hit Ancients again).

Best wishes,

Rhondabee

Personally I would keep them together and start your 5 year old at SOTW 2. I did this last year when my son was 5. At that age, they don't really have a concept of timelines. I don't think it would be confusing to get picture books of the ancients, along with story books about Greek and Roman mythology to familiarize them with the stories while also studying the middle ages with SOTW 2.

I don't see any particular reason to start SOTW1 with your little one right now. And I think that she will be pretty young to follow SOTW2.

I would suggest either:

1. Looking for picture books that are from roughly the SOTW2 time frame and reading them to her, while helping your older one do SOTW2 in all its glory.

OR:

2. Use this year with her to develop a sense of history by reading a lot of historical and historical fiction books to her. The easier Jean Fritz books about US historical figures would be excellent for this.

With both together, I would visit history museums and maybe go to a tame Renaissance Faire if one like that is available to you (IME, some are family friendly and others have way too much 'adult' stuff for me to want to bring young children.) Also, I would use this time to acquaint both of them with general map knowlege and conventions, and to familiarize them with the major parts of the world and of the US. That tends to be neglected but it is great to be able to picture where a story takes place and what the principle features of that area are.

Our boys love doing SOTW together. Basically my now 6 year old has been listening, coloring and doing projects since he was 4 and has loved every minute. It has given him a love for History before he was old enough to be in school and helped him and his brother (now 9) bond even more. They play revolutionary war together, colonial day and still talk about Ancient Egypt and can't wait to study it again.

Blessings on your decision.

Angie (home4fun)