Menu

If you did Mapping the World with Art, I have a couple ???

HappyGrace

Did you feel your dc retained what they learned with this?

Is the three hours per wk estimate about right, AND how did you break that down-1/2 hour per day or what? And could a 6th grader do this independently?

I did some searches for old posts, but still had these questions, so thank you for answering!

I am considering it for dd next yr in 6th grade but we have so much else on our plate, I am trying to figure out if it's worth it.

Did you feel your dc retained what they learned with this?

Is the three hours per wk estimate about right, AND how did you break that down-1/2 hour per day or what? And could a 6th grader do this independently?

I did some searches for old posts, but still had these questions, so thank you for answering!

I am considering it for dd next yr in 6th grade but we have so much else on our plate, I am trying to figure out if it's worth it.

My son will be doing this as well (6th). I just printed out the chap. 1 sample and we are doing it together for a couple of weeks to see how it goes. I think it might take 2 weeks to finish 1 chap/lesson. It doesn't look that difficult to do independently if your child reads well (mine doesn't) so we are doing it together. We've just done mostly the readings and he's taken some notes/drawings. I've broken it down in only 15-20 minutes a day so far, but we haven't got to any major projects yet. I don't think it's labor intensive, but it's really interesting.

Thanks 2boys Mom! I am very interested in finding out about retention after a student has completed the program. My daughter is interested in Mapping with Art, but I am worried about having too much scheduled. If it seems like the children learn (and remember!) loads, I am much more inclined to make the time.

We did the sample lessons from the first chapter quite a few months ago. My ds retained the information he learned. He is going into 9th and we did the lessons together, which might have made it more fun and memorable....but then again, we did light the paper world map/globe on fire. lol!

Last week I was considering adding it to our Sonlight for the upcoming year and ds saw me looking at it. He is very excited about doing it again.

I'm glad this curriculum is being discussed right now. I'm looking at it again.

I've decided to try a geography based, instead of a timeline based, approach to history. With a timeline base I feel like there is no end to topics. I'm just swimming around in endless facts and events, and the harder I swim, the more I feel like I am drowning.

I think if I spend about 6-8 weeks per continent, per year (including odd glossed over general world topics with Antarctica), I'll have a more managable schedule.

Geography based history makes it easier to take advantage of biographies, newspapers and missionary resources.

This year I want to focus on the 5 themes of geography, so I will start playing around with some basic mapping this year, but will put intensive mapping off another year.

I think this is going back on my wishlist.