Menu

Anyone have a reading list to go along with SOTW3?

mamachanse

I'm in the middle of planning right now - but so far here's the assigned reading selections I have planned for ds:

"The Broken Blade" by William Durbin

"Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims" by Clyde Rovert Bulla

"The Three Musketeers" by Alexandre Dumas, adapted by Malvina G. Vogel (Great Illustrated Classic)

"The Complete Just So Stories" by Rudyard Kipling

"The Last of the Mohicans" by James Fenimore Cooper, Adapted by Eliza Warren (Great Illustrated Classic)

"Ben and Me" by Robert Lawson

"Carry on Mr. Bowditch" by Jean Lathan

"A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens, adapted by Marian Leighton (Great Illustrated Classic)

"Meet Thomas Jefferson" by Marvin Barrett

"Midnight is a Place" by Joan Aiken

"Dear Napoleon, I Know You're Dead, But..." by Elvira Woodruff

"The Journal of Jesse Smoke, A Cherokee Boy" by Joseph Bruchac

"By the Great Horn Spoon" by Sid Fleischman

I also have a shorter book per week picked out that I will assign ds to read sometime on his own during the week - most of them are picture book length. I have a third list of books I want to get from the library just to have on hand during each week for the dc to read/look through at their own leisure. And I have a fourth, shorter list of some books to use as family read alouds during the year - we don't coordinate too many of our read alouds with history, but there were a few I wanted ds to read, but I thought might be too much for him to do on his own or that dd would also like to hear.

Edited by BramFam
added links

I'm in the middle of planning right now - but so far here's the assigned reading selections I have planned for ds:

"The Broken Blade" by William Durbin

"Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims" by Clyde Rovert Bulla

"The Three Musketeers" by Alexandre Dumas, adapted by Malvina G. Vogel (Great Illustrated Classic)

"The Complete Just So Stories" by Rudyard Kipling

"The Last of the Mohicans" by James Fenimore Cooper, Adapted by Eliza Warren (Great Illustrated Classic)

"Ben and Me" by Robert Lawson

"Carry on Mr. Bowditch" by Jean Lathan

"A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens, adapted by Marian Leighton (Great Illustrated Classic)

"Meet Thomas Jefferson" by Marvin Barrett

"Midnight is a Place" by Joan Aiken

"Dear Napoleon, I Know You're Dead, But..." by Elvira Woodruff

"The Journal of Jesse Smoke, A Cherokee Boy" by Joseph Bruchac

"By the Great Horn Spoon" by Sid Fleischman

I also have a shorter book per week picked out that I will assign ds to read sometime on his own during the week - most of them are picture book length. I have a third list of books I want to get from the library just to have on hand during each week for the dc to read/look through at their own leisure. And I have a fourth, shorter list of some books to use as family read alouds during the year - we don't coordinate too many of our read alouds with history, but there were a few I wanted ds to read, but I thought might be too much for him to do on his own or that dd would also like to hear.

Thanks for sharing! I do the same types of lists. :)

I have a schedule which includes read alouds, activities, books for my dd9 to read on her own, as well as movies. It's broken down by SOTW chapter. Some of the books we never ended up reading, and there were also some books we added along the way that were never put onto the computer schedule. I'm happy to email it to you if you'd like to check it out.

I have a schedule which includes read alouds, activities, books for my dd9 to read on her own, as well as movies. It's broken down by SOTW chapter. Some of the books we never ended up reading, and there were also some books we added along the way that were never put onto the computer schedule. I'm happy to email it to you if you'd like to check it out.

Please! Mamachanse @ gmail . Com

Thanks!

Me too! angelbee 369 @ hotmail.com

Here's a link to last year's reading list when we did SOTW 3 and my boys were about the same ages as yours. I started to put the SOTW chapter # by each title, but I can see that didn't last long. Each list is roughly chronological though. It's broken down into read alouds, picture books, and nonfiction.

Here's a link to last year's reading list when we did SOTW 3 and my boys were about the same ages as yours. I started to put the SOTW chapter # by each title, but I can see that didn't last long. Each list is roughly chronological though. It's broken down into read alouds, picture books, and nonfiction.

Link?

Here is a list I've put together so far. It's just a rough draft. I've yet to read any of them. :tongue_smilie:Nor have I consulted the AG yet.

Arrow over the Door by Joseph Bruchac

Banner in the Sky by James Ramsey Ullman

Shh! We're Writing the Constitution by Jean Fritz

Only the Names Remain: The Cherokees and The Trail of Tears by Alex W. Bealer

The Kidnapped Prince: The Life of Olaudah Equiano by Ann Cameron

Nory Ryan's Song by Patricia Reilly Giff

The King's Fifth by Scott O'Dell

Stowaway by Karen Hesse

The Broken Blade by William Durbin

Ben and Me: An Astonishing Life of Benjamin Franklin by His Good Mouse Amos by Robert W. Lawson

Dear Napoleon, I Know You're Dead, But...by Elvira Woodruff

By the Great Horn Spoon! by Eric Von Schmidt

Pilgrim Girl: Diary and Recipes of her First Year in the New World by Jule Selbo

At the Sign of the Sugared Plum by Mary Hooper

Basho and the River Stones by Tim Myers

You Wouldn't Want to Explore with Sir Francis Drake!: A Pirate You'd Rather Not Know by David Salariya

At the Sign of the Star by Katherine Sturtevant

Seesaw Girl by Linda Sue Park

The Siege: Under Attack in Renaissance Europe by Stephen Shapiro

The Wonderful Winter by Marchette Chute