Menu

Favourite independent workbook programs -- any subject?

MelanieM

My 8yo daughter *loves* workbooks, activity sheets, etc., and I find it challenging to keep up with the volume of materials she'd like to work through. Yesterday she completed most of her folder for the week, which included 15 pages of Math Mammoth, 4 pages of grammar worksheets, 4 other math worksheets, a chapter of Mr Q Science with the 3 activity pages at the end... I'm sure she'll complete the rest of it (SWO, a couple pages of Mad Libs and some notebooking) today and be asking for the next weekly folder before dinner!

So, I need some suggestions for programs that she can do on her own (I can obviously assist and answer questions) that I can use to beef up her weekly folders and help fill her never-ending desire for MORE. She's working at a grade 3/4 level in most things but her reading and comprehension level is much more advanced than that so she's capable of working with materials written to a higher level.

Suggestions? Any subject is fine -- foreign language? fun math? puzzles? science? activity magazines? -- as she truly enjoys just about everything. Also, I do prefer our materials to be secular. Help!

Edited by MelanieM

Maybe some critical thinking workbooks? I just bought Perplexors for my son. The Critical Thinking Company also has a ton of workbooks with logic type puzzles.

Excellent idea, thank you! I just printed some samples from the Critical Thinking Company website, so we'll see how she likes those today. She's big into puzzles, code crackers, etc. so this should be a great fit for her. :D

My DD liked the Star-Spangled Workbook, The

which is really something because she typically does not like working independently. You have to have the Star-Spangled State Book, The to answer the questions.

She also really likes The Complete Book of Animals (The Com...

You might consider something for writing?

Oh how funny! We actually have the Complete Book of Animals and I completely forgot about it! I'll have to go dig that up today. (Now I'm wondering how much else is floating around that I've forgotten about!)

She's been doing a lot of writing lately based on her reading (summarizing, book reports, etc.) and we've started doing more notebooking for science. I've also printed a lot of copywork for her so she can practice her handwriting, which has become a little sloppy. So I don't want to give her a writing book that's too exciting and have her fill up on that and choose to skip the other stuff. That said, I've been saying for ages now that we should start the writing workbooks available at http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/, so maybe now is the time to get on that. Hmm. (Ok, please excuse my rambling as I think through this!!)

Scholastic is having their dollar sale again for the next two weeks. You may find workbooks that she likes. My dd likes the Algebra Readiness workbook; I don't think it is on sale this time, though.

Scholastic is having their dollar sale again for the next two weeks. You may find workbooks that she likes. My dd likes the Algebra Readiness workbook; I don't think it is on sale this time, though.

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know! There are some wonderful options there for me to choose from, and you can't beat that price!