Menu

Is it normal?

Embassy

Yes. Gosh, it's normal for adults to do the same thing.

:iagree:

If a word is not part of their vocabulary, they are just trying to sound it out.

Also, my kids were reading early, and much of their vocabulary building came from reading to themselves. So for my kids, it's common for them to mispronounce normal words that *are* part of their vocabulary since they read them before they heard them, and weren't corrected early on. We do correct mispronunciations when we hear them, which is a good reason to have them read out loud even after they are reading well. (Until at least 4th grade or so).

Sure. Especially if it follows a variation on spelling rules, but even if it doesn't sometimes. I've seen my son clearly go through a really rapid thought process where he starts to say a new word correctly, then alters his pronunciation when the word isn't familiar, clearly searching for an alternate way to say it that will help it make sense. But then if that doesn't do it, he'll just leave it mispronounced and move on.

If a word is not part of their vocabulary, they are just trying to sound it out.

Also, my kids were reading early, and much of their vocabulary building came from reading to themselves. So for my kids, it's common for them to mispronounce normal words that *are* part of their vocabulary since they read them before they heard them, and weren't corrected early on. We do correct mispronunciations when we hear them, which is a good reason to have them read out loud even after they are reading well. (Until at least 4th grade or so).