Menu

can anyone review How to Teach Spelling

http://www.christianbook.com/how-to-spell-grade-3/laura-rudgins/9780838818527/pd/41852?event=CF#curr

I was looking at this workbook for a soon to be 4th grader. It looks pretty good from the few sample pages I was able to see. Has anyone used this successfully? My son is not a good speller (also not good at decoding words) but I recently found out that he likes memorizing rules, so I think it may be a good fit since the workbook looks like its pretty heavy on memorization.

Any thoughts?

We've only been home schooling since January and haven't used any spelling curriculum thus far.

Thanks!

In the thread I linked, people talked about just using the TM because all of the words, etc. are listed in there. I ordered the TM and the workbook just to make sure I know what I am doing. :)

However, one person commented on the thread that they suggested going through the program faster than the workbboks are set up just because some of the words are not introduced until 7-12 grade and that's a little late to be learning how to spell.

Because of this I will probably just move at our own pace and might not even buy another workbook after this first one I ordered and just use the TM. I can't wait to see it IRL!

I received How to Teach Spelling in the mail this past Friday. Here are my initial impressions:

I am REALLY glad that I ordered the workbook to go with the TM and will probably continue to order the workbooks as we go through the program. The TM does guide you through how to have the students set up their own student spelling notebook, but I like the way the workbooks tell you which page to turn to in the TM for dictation and has the spelling rules and phonograms listed in the workbook.

The TM is laid out kind of funky to me (which is why I like the workbooks). It is laid out by topic and then gives what grades to teach the topic. The workbooks on the other hand lay out the order the lessons should go in for that grade, so the lesson planning is basically done for you. IMO, the workbooks really make the program open and go.

The TM gives a sample lesson plan at the front which is actually very similar to AAS. Review of phonograms, word cards (which you make on index cards), dictation (for review), then introduce new material. For the phonogram review they recommend buying this set of phonics drill cards:

http://www.christianbook.com/gillingham-phonics-drill-cards/anna-gillingham/9780838802021/pd/379202

I am probably just going to make my own by printing them on cardstock and then laminating them. The phonograms with examples are all covered on p. 4-9, so making your own would be easy to do.

While there is not as much handholding in this program as there is in AAS, there is enough that even my phonics challenged self can easily figure out how to teach phonetic spelling with this program. Overall, I think this is going to work for us, but I thought the same about AAS and it was just TOO much.

Edited by pw23kids

Questions for pp -

Thank you so much for posting your impression! I'm looking at this and looking for reviews of it right now, and glad to find a current discussion. Can you tell me a couple other things?

1. Does it teach spelling rules?

2. How are words organized?

3. you mentioned making your own phonogram cards - how many are listed? should be between 60 and 80, right?

Thank you in advance for any help! I really thought I wanted AAS but it's so expensive, I saw the post calling this a workbook style AAS.

Jennifer

DD 5 starting K in August

DD 1 and DS 1 tearing up the house!

I received How to Teach Spelling in the mail this past Friday. Here are my initial impressions:

I am REALLY glad that I ordered the workbook to go with the TM and will probably continue to order the workbooks as we go through the program. The TM does guide you through how to have the students set up their own student spelling notebook, but I like the way the workbooks tell you which page to turn to in the TM for dictation and has the spelling rules and phonograms listed in the workbook.

The TM is laid out kind of funky to me (which is why I like the workbooks). It is laid out by topic and then gives what grades to teach the topic. The workbooks on the other hand lay out the order the lessons should go in for that grade, so the lesson planning is basically done for you. IMO, the workbooks really make the program open and go.

The TM gives a sample lesson plan at the front which is actually very similar to AAS. Review of phonograms, word cards (which you make on index cards), dictation (for review), then introduce new material. For the phonogram review they recommend buying this set of phonics drill cards:

http://www.christianbook.com/gillingham-phonics-drill-cards/anna-gillingham/9780838802021/pd/379202

I am probably just going to make my own by printing them on cardstock and then laminating them. The phonograms with examples are all covered on p. 4-9, so making your own would be easy to do.

While there is not as much handholding in this program as there is in AAS, there is enough that even my phonics challenged self can easily figure out how to teach phonetic spelling with this program. Overall, I think this is going to work for us, but I thought the same about AAS and it was just TOO much.

I will be ordering the workbooks ASAP. I have just purchased a copy of it as well, and my initial impression was that I have NO IDEA how to make a spelling list from this book. (Not a reasonably short one anyway--and in my defense, I didn't spend that much time looking at it.) How to teach the rules? It covers that quite nicely.

We are switching from Megawords. MY dd is in book 1, and I am realizing there is no way I want to push her through 7 more books. She'll be a 6th grader next year. She will need only to do books 3 & 4 of HTTS and we're done with spelling.

Now, what are the workbook keys? Are those necessary?

Questions for pp -

Thank you so much for posting your impression! I'm looking at this and looking for reviews of it right now, and glad to find a current discussion. Can you tell me a couple other things?

1. Does it teach spelling rules? YES!

2. How are words organized? They are organized by phonogram and/or spelling rule.

3. you mentioned making your own phonogram cards - how many are listed? should be between 60 and 80, right? I counted about 61 listed, but it was a quick count :)

Thank you in advance for any help! I really thought I wanted AAS but it's so expensive, I saw the post calling this a workbook style AAS.

Jennifer

DD 5 starting K in August

DD 1 and DS 1 tearing up the house!

Hope that helps, Jennifer!

I will be ordering the workbooks ASAP. I have just purchased a copy of it as well, and my initial impression was that I have NO IDEA how to make a spelling list from this book. (Not a reasonably short one anyway--and in my defense, I didn't spend that much time looking at it.) How to teach the rules? It covers that quite nicely.

We are switching from Megawords. MY dd is in book 1, and I am realizing there is no way I want to push her through 7 more books. She'll be a 6th grader next year. She will need only to do books 3 & 4 of HTTS and we're done with spelling.

Now, what are the workbook keys? Are those necessary?

I only have the first grade workbook and there is no way I would need a key for that level. I'm not sure about the higher levels that you are talking about. I would think that it wouldn't be necessary if the upper levels continue the same format as the lower level workbook because the workbook references what pages in the TM are being covered.