Menu

anyone have questionable experience with creditreport.com?

Went to pay a credit card bill today and noticed a charge for CREDITREPORT.COM. Checked with DH and nope, neither of us authorized this charge. Called credit card to dispute charge and they noted that it is a monthly recurring charge and had just gone through AGAIN as recent activity. They put the two charges in dispute for me but recommended I call the company to stop the recurring charge.

Called the company and they questioned whether I had authorized someone with initials different from mine to use my card. They wouldn't tell me the name of the person, only the initials. When I said NO, they transferred me to a supervisor who further questioned me about authorizing this person to use the credit card. When I insisted that I let NO ONE but DH use the card, they agreed to remove ONE charge. She acted like it was out of her hands to remove both charges. Glad that I disputed it with the credit card first.

There were no other questionable charges on my credit card account and I find it highly doubtful that someone would get hold of my credit card number and only use it to buy a monthly service from CREDITREPORT.COM.

Anyone else with experience with this company?

Pegasus

This happened to me last month. I didn't realize it at the time, but I had clicked on something while surfing, and that initiated the charge. I review my credit card charges every few days or so, so I caught the initial charge right away.

I called my credit card company, and the agent there explained how it all works and that I had 7 days from the initial charge to undo everything without penalty. Then she called creditreport.com with me on the phone to cancel the recurring charge and get a refund. Creditreport.com didn't want to reverse it, but thankfully, my credit card rep did a fabulous job of putting the creditreport.com agent in her place. Ugh. If I had done it by myself, I would have ended up paying $15 of stupid tax. :glare:

This happened to me last month. I didn't realize it at the time, but I had clicked on something while surfing, and that initiated the charge. I review my credit card charges every few days or so, so I caught the initial charge right away.

It's completely possible that DH or I clicked on something while surfing but I'm pretty sure that neither of us clicked on something and then entered our credit card number. How would that work?

I appreciate you sharing your experience. I can't help but think it's a shady practice if people regularly "accidentally" get enrolled.

Pegasus

• 2 weeks later...

Did either you or your husband check your credit score recently? It is VERY easy to end up following the wrong links to site that gives you your credit score but in the process signs you up for a free trial of their credit watching service. The charge for it after the free trial period are usually around the $15 mark from what I've seen. It's extremely common for people trying to get their yearly free credit score check to end up mislead this way. Usually the information about what you're agreeing to is all right there but in a way that is easily overlooked before hitting the submit button.

Not sure that's what it is - I would have thought they'd have mentioned it if that's what it was - but figured I'd throw the possibility out there.