Menu

Summer Math Supplement-Different than Saxon

My dd is finishing up Saxon 6/5. I'd like to work with her over the summer using something completely different than Saxon, but that would cover a similar scope and sequence that she's completed to-date. I'd just like to expose her to different methods of doing math. So what curriculum would the Hive recommend to use over the summer, and what level of that curriculum would you recommend? Also, is there anyone who thinks this is NOT a good idea, and if so, why?

I have never used Saxon (we use Math Mammoth), but what I plan to do this summer is the math review workbook from summerskills.com. It is somewhat different content than what was covered in Math Mammoth, and I plan to work with dd to show her the different types of problems and different ways to handle already familiar problems. I felt like an entire curriculum would be too much to squeeze in during the summer, so the one offered on that website fit our needs.

I have never used Saxon (we use Math Mammoth), but what I plan to do this summer is the math review workbook from summerskills.com. It is somewhat different content than what was covered in Math Mammoth, and I plan to work with dd to show her the different types of problems and different ways to handle already familiar problems. I felt like an entire curriculum would be too much to squeeze in during the summer, so the one offered on that website fit our needs.

Thanks for the suggestion, and we may just do that, but what I'm looking for is something that teaches in a different way than Saxon; something that would be fairly quick to go through too. I was thinking maybe Singapore, but can you really just pick up mid-stream with that and go with it? I'm not sure what level would even compare to Saxon 6/5. Hmmm...

TT5 seems to correspond well to 5/4, so I'd guess that TT6 (or maybe 7) would fit with Saxon 6/5.

Besides MM, Keys to Fractions or Decimals etc... might be a good choice too, since they're open-and-go, written to the student, and self-contained (not part of a larger multi-year curriculum). So you wouldn't need to invest a great deal in a program, but could just focus on strengthening up some skills your daughter needs before pre-algebra/middle school math.

We used Saxon1 this year, and then when we finished it in April began Math Mammoth 1. It has been the perfect supplement to close out our math year. It teaches alot of the same topics, but in so many different ways, with a much more conceptual approach. We have liked it so much that I think we are switching to it as our main math next year. Either way it would have been a great supplement.