Menu

Foreign Language WWYD

Just looking for a little advice, because I can't seem to make up my own mind.

I started French with DD about.... 1.5 years ago. We started with reading books, watching movies, listening to music... just to learn the sound of the language. This year we started with L'art de Dire and... I hate it, so it isn't getting done. :001_unsure: So we are going to have to switch curriculums.

Here's the thing.... my own French is sort of a hobby. I'm a French minor in school, but only because I love the language. Once I leave school, I'll probably lose most of it. I'm also a Spanish minor. Right now my French is stronger than my Spanish- but soon they will swap. (I want to study Latin American history in grad school, so I spend much more time working on Spanish. I'm also studying in Ecuador for a month next winter.) I'll be using Spanish for the rest of my life.

I was *planning* on teaching DD both languages (plus Portuguese- since I'll eventually be learning that). But part of me says to go ahead and drop the French to start Spanish now since I'll be better equipped to teach it as she gets older.

The options I'm considering are:

1. Find a new French curriculum, and continue with French- picking Spanish up sometime in the next 1-2 years like I planned.

2. Drop French altogether and study Spanish.

3. Drop French for now to do Spanish and go back to the French when she's older and can do something a little more independent.

4. Something else?

I don't know why this is even an issue. I do *want* DD to have both languages, but I guess I'm just feeling frustration with this curriculum and feeling a little unsure of myself.

My thoughts as I read your post: you'll have Spanish for the rest of your life AND you'll be busier as time moves forward.

I would find a good French curriculum now, get that down, then move on to Spanish. While you'll be busier later on down the road, if Spanish is as easy as it sounds it will be, you'll most likely have better ideas of how you want to teach it (because you'll have more experience with it) and be able to make the time for it a little easier because the task won't seem so daunting.

My impression is that Spanish might be easier for her to pick up first. But then again, learning French when she's younger might actually make that easier for her. Hmmm. I guess I'm not much help! (But I did bump your thread up for you.)

:D Well.. thanks for that!

I *think* that learning French when she's older would be easier- especially the written parts. It's a little easier to understand what gets dropped, when, what gets added, when, what's not pronounced..... :svengo:I'm just worried that *MY* French won't be there to teach her anymore!

I really want to switch to Spanish. I just feel like it would make our lives easier. More materials, more speakers around us (and I'm looking at graduate schools in Texas and North Carolina, so future speakers also). And since my own focus right now is strengthening my Spanish it's been hard to get both languages done.

I guess I'm looking for permission to drop French.... even though I really do want her to learn it. :willy_nilly:

My thoughts as I read your post: you'll have Spanish for the rest of your life AND you'll be busier as time moves forward.

I would find a good French curriculum now, get that down, then move on to Spanish. While you'll be busier later on down the road, if Spanish is as easy as it sounds it will be, you'll most likely have better ideas of how you want to teach it (because you'll have more experience with it) and be able to make the time for it a little easier because the task won't seem so daunting.

You make some really good points - the same points I keep repeating to myself. I feel like I should stick with French for now, but I want to switch to Spanish. -sigh-

DD of course, doesn't particularly care. She'd rather do BOTH, NOW, and nothing else. :tongue_smilie: