Menu

DS wants to know what to expect at the Neuropsych's Eval?

No answers for you, since my ds was only 5 at the time of his eval, but I wanted to mention that KarenAnne wrote in detail about her dd's neuropsych eval. Is the search function working yet? I think her dd was around 10 at the time of the eval??? Good luck with your appointments! Our eval experience was a really positive one. Ds loved going in to play games with his "brain doctor." ;)

there may be a whole host of brain gymnastics, figuring out puzzle type activities, remembering things like letters and numbers. Some paper activities such as vocab and comprehension type questions or math like what would be on a test in school. Each activity is pretty short.

If he is anything like my son, it would be good to talk about if he doesn't know doesn't remember or can't figure out something that its OK and that he will be asked to do the next thing and try not to get down on himself. The activites are often time limited so he would be interrupted if he isn't finished with it. (that's what would be disturbing to my son!). My son hates anything timed. His anxiety goes up. :001_smile:

ADHD testing often includes a computer testing that is somewhat like a computer game.

There may be social interaction with the examiner, playing a game or playing with toys.

hope this helps!

Moriah

First, tell him that it's all "paper and pencil" type tests -- these are not medical tests. So, no blood is drawn, no eeg leads, etc.

The tests will include some things that are really easy, and some things that seem very hard for him. Let him know that you just want him to do his best. (IOW, he must try his best, but he isn't expected to "ace" every single subtest.)

There will be questions about general knowledge, math, reading and memory, and perhaps science, etc., if the neuropsych wants to do a full academic evaluation. He'll have to do some puzzles and put things in order.

Other things he might be asked to do:

Copy a drawing

Recite numbers forward and backward

Remember/repeat a list of words

Decode nonsense words

Read aloud

Tap a "clicker" as fast as he can

Spell words/write sentences

There are no "tricks," so if he doesn't understand something, tell him to ask if the instructions can be repeated. It's all right to say, "I don't know," if he has no idea, but if he might know, he can ask if it's all right to guess. (In many cases, kids guess correctly, even if they don't think they know!)

In most cases, they'll tell him if there is a time limit. So, he should consider the time if he's told he'll be timed, but should try not to get stressed and rush if there's no time limit. He shouldn't dawdle, but he shouldn't rush, either, unless told to do something as fast as possible.

Oh, and tell him that in MOST cases, the test administrator CANNOT tell him if he's right and wrong, so he should try not to read too much into her reactions. We try hard to be supportive/encouraging, but we can't give too much feedback, b/c it might affect their answers.

He should ask to go to the restroom, get water or a snack if he needs something. They might ask him to wait until the end of a subtest, but they will let him take appropriate breaks.

HIH!

Lisa