Menu

Art Appreciation Books -- Help!

MelanieM

I'm looking for a book or resource that would give me a collection of prints to look through for art appreciation this year. So far a couple of things have jumped out at me, but I don't know how good they are. Has anyone used Cave Paintings to Picasso, Usborne Introduction to Art or DK's Child's Book of Art? Or in a slightly different direction, what about Child Size Masterpieces or the How Artists See books?

Ack! Someone just tell me what to buy before I drive myself completely crazy!! lol!

If you want a book that is going to show kid friendly art, and tell you more about the artist and painting then I would get the Usborne, or DK book. I have check all three of your book choices out from the library before. The cave painting to picasso didn't really impress me. I believe the Usborne one has art project ideas also. As far as Child Size Masterpieces they are basically over priced art cards. If you want to get art cards buy Dover they are much cheaper. The Child Size Masterpieces are just art cards unless you get the how to manual.

I just checked you link and I guess that is a different Usborne one than I have seen. That one is not exactly meant for children and will contain nudity. If that bothers you go for the DK one, or get the Usborne childrens book of art, or the Usborne Art treasury.

Have used and love:

The Art Book for Children (Phaidon)

The Art Book for Children 2 (Phaidon)

(one of these is only available from B&N not Amazon)(Focused more on the art side rather than the historical side)

Cave Paintings to Picasso (very thorough explanations, smaller photos of art)

Usborne The Children's Book of Art (shorter explanations than Cave Paintings)

So is this the Usborne book you're all talking about? Hmm... I like that it has Internet links too!

twoxcell, thanks for that other DK link! I really like the look of that one, and it has quite a large picture list. And thanks for the suggestion to get Dover prints; that's a great idea!

Thank you all for the feedback!

We LOVE the Come Look With Me books!!!I have 4 of them and plan on purchasing more this year. Each pic has info on the art and artist along with a few discussion questions. Nothing serious, just questions to get the child to notice things in the painting and 'what if you' and 'why do you think' type questions. My children are 6 mos, 2, 5, 8, and 11. All of them (except the baby, of course) LOVE these books.

For a straight-up art history encyclopedia-type book, we have and enjoy DK's Art: Over 2,500 Works From Cave to Contemporary. I haven't used the others on your list, though I periodically look at Cave Paintings to Picasso, and it's on my wish list.

Will it make things worse if I recommend something entirely different? :D Feel free to just skip to the next post if it will.

Otherwise, I really, really love the Come Look With Me series. Love it! Here is Exploring Landscape Art With Children, but there are numerous choices. Now, the bad thing is, you'll still need an art history encyclopedia at some point. These are not comprehensive, and actually, they only have about 12 paintings per book. But each two-page spread includes some information about the artist as well as some guiding questions for looking more closely at the piece.

Ack! The list just keeps on growing! :lol: Ok... my library has some of the Come Look with Me and VP selections, and a couple other ones that have been recommended here, so I've put everything on hold and will see what shakes out.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions!

I picked up my hold list from the library and have just spent the last couple hours going through the options I have available for preview. Sharing my thoughts here in case it helps anyone else...

LOVE Cave Paintings to Picasso! Some of the pictures are small, but I liked the information I saw and the scope of the book. We'll definitely purchase a copy of this one. Heads up to anyone else considering this book... David is in there, so keep that in mind if you have an issue with nudity. (There may be other nudes as well...? I skimmed.)

The Usborne Art Treasury has some art projects in it that I think we'd quite enjoy. The actual information about the art and artists is a little light, and I was a little shocked by the description of Van Gogh, which basically talked about him cutting off his ear, going to a mental hospital, and then shooting himself. All true yes, but for such a brief overview it seemed a little out of place in terms of handing it to my 8 yo.

I really like the Come Look With Me books! I think we're going to have fun going through the ones I have (photography and animals) in the next couple of weeks, and I'll likely add some others to my cart for purchase.

I quite like the format of The Art Book for Children. I like how they pull out different artistic approaches and aspects for each piece, and how it really gets you thinking about what you're looking at. The only down side I noticed with this one is that the date of the piece is not always listed on the page; it's there in the back, but I'd really rather see it when I'm looking at the work. Not sure yet if this will be a purchase for us or a library loan only; we'll see how the kids like it and decide from there.

I also got Discover Great Paintings, and quite like that as well. There are only 13 (I think?) pieces in the book, but I love how they pull out aspects for close-up, label individual pieces with detail, and encourage a little "I Spy" style investigation. I think this will really appeal to my kids and help encourage a more in-depth viewing of art. I would absolutely purchase this based on my preview, but I think it might be short enough that a library loan (or two or three) will be sufficient.

I think I'm also going to purchase the DK Art book that Kirsten linked to for a more indepth resource to have on hand.

Thanks again for all the suggestions! I'm having a lot of fun with these awesome books! :D