Menu

For lovers of Latin

If I ever go there I'm using it in Latin. That's awesome.

Lol! I am glad I could help you potentially experience real Latin live!

I wonder how many people actually use the Latin option, given that they also offer Italian, French, Spanish, German and English... Wouldn't it be cool to have some statistics about usage?

That is pretty cool. But watch out- someone might try and speak to you in Latin. I always choose the French option on ATMs (just generally to use it more- my facebook is also set to French, as well as my computer settings, my phone, etc.) One time the person behind me in line must have saw that I was using it in French and started speaking to me. In French. :lol: After freezing for a minute, I stumbled through a few short sentences. (Including J'apprends le francais ahora, je ne parle un poco... a sufficient mangling of both French AND Spanish!! :svengo:) I'm not that good with speaking- he must have thought I was a complete idiot!!

One time the person behind me in line must have saw that I was using it in French and started speaking to me. In French. :lol: After freezing for a minute, I stumbled through a few short sentences. (Including J'apprends le francais ahora, je ne parle un poco... a sufficient mangling of both French AND Spanish!! :svengo:) I'm not that good with speaking- he must have thought I was a complete idiot!!

:lol:

A similar thing has happened to me. After completing my BA in Scandinavian Studies I spent a couple months in Norway. On my first day I was at the train station and proudly went up to the ticket booth ready to show off my mastery of the Norwegian language. I was sure everyone would think I was a native Norwegian. I got up to the ticket booth and began explaining what I wanted. I was several sentences through before I realised that I was speaking French! Embarrassed, I started babbling in every language I knew; Spanish, Finnish, Swedish, Latin, before finally managing to say what I wanted in Norwegian. So much for trying to pretend I wasn't a tourist. :lol:

:lol:

A similar thing has happened to me. After completing my BA in Scandinavian Studies I spent a couple months in Norway. On my first day I was at the train station and proudly went up to the ticket booth ready to show off my mastery of the Norwegian language. I was sure everyone would think I was a native Norwegian. I got up to the ticket booth and began explaining what I wanted. I was several sentences through before I realised that I was speaking French! Embarrassed, I started babbling in every language I knew; Spanish, Finnish, Swedish, Latin, before finally managing to say what I wanted in Norwegian. So much for trying to pretend I wasn't a tourist. :lol:

:lol::lol: Not to get joy from your embarrassment but.... :D I'm so glad it isn't only me! (And simultaneously intimidated and impressed by your list of languages! amazing.) I studied Spanish a few years ago, switched to German and French, then dropped German and went back to Spanish. I've pretty much forgotten all the German, but now that I'm studying two similar languages, I mix them up so often. I don't think I get through an entire conversation in one language without at least one word from the other creeping in.

(And I'm supposed to start seriously studying Portuguese this summer. ack!)

:lol::lol: Not to get joy from your embarrassment but.... :D I'm so glad it isn't only me! (And simultaneously intimidated and impressed by your list of languages! amazing.) I studied Spanish a few years ago, switched to German and French, then dropped German and went back to Spanish. I've pretty much forgotten all the German, but now that I'm studying two similar languages, I mix them up so often. I don't think I get through an entire conversation in one language without at least one word from the other creeping in.

(And I'm supposed to start seriously studying Portuguese this summer. ack!)

Well, I only spoke very minimal Spanish and I've forgotten most of the Finnish I learnt. Swedish, Dansih and Norwegian are all very similar, so it's quite easy to have a general knowledge of all three. It also helps that I'm a language nerd.

As for mixing up langauges this goes on frequently at my house. The other day DS 6 asked for, "A little lait, være så snill." English, French, and Norwegian all in one sentence! That might not be a good thing, but it was super cute. :D

Well, I only spoke very minimal Spanish and I've forgotten most of the Finnish I learnt. Swedish, Dansih and Norwegian are all very similar, so it's quite easy to have a general knowledge of all three. It also helps that I'm a language nerd.

As for mixing up langauges this goes on frequently at my house. The other day DS 6 asked for, "A little lait, være så snill." English, French, and Norwegian all in one sentence! That might not be a good thing, but it was super cute. :D

I'm hoping the similarity will help when it comes to Portuguese, although my goal is to read and write in all three languages (but of course, speaking would be amazing).

I *just* (as in, 2 hours ago!) described myself as a language nerd in my facebook status. I then followed it up with a status about diacritical marks. :D I'm surprised I even have any friends left. :lol:

And, that is very cute about your son! I think it is a good thing at that age- everyone keeps telling me it will *eventually* sort itself out. He has a long time to sort things out before he's expected to, you know, not look silly. :tongue_smilie:Seems like he is thinking in all three languages, which is pretty awesome.