Menu

review in beginning of Saxon Algebra 2?

Concepts are REVISITED-- but don't count on being able to skip the first few lessons-- finish as much of Algebra 1 as you can (preferably the whole text)-- lessons taught in Algebra 1 will go into more detail (firmer foundation)...

Saxon Algebra 2 hits the ground running right where Algebra 1 left off-- Advanced Math is even more brutal--

Yes, I agree that the concepts are revisited and that the foundation needs to be firm with Algebra 1. As for my dd, she stopped with 10 lessons left and has had no problem with understanding things so far (we're about to do Lesson 94 today). We did skip some of the first of Alg. 2's problems....not whole lessons. The first couple of them are only a few concepts so you have a ton of the same stuff.

One thing I would recommend though is to keep your Algebra 1 text (and other stuff) for awhile just so you are comfortable with Alg. 2. I looked back in our old year a couple times at first. I still have it on the shelf just to be on the safe side!

Good to know about Advanced Math. We are going to give it a go with Mr. Reed's videos. Should be interesting! :)

As I recall, there are a few concepts, such as probability, that Saxon always seems to put at the very end of the book. So the last few lessons are something that is not reviewed at the beginning of the next book -- it's saved until the last few lessons of the next book, instead. I would not recommend skipping the first lessons of the next book because it's "only review." Especially if you take the summer off. The review is good -- it helps "cement" the material in the student's brain.:) And sometimes there is a different aspect of the concept presented the next time around.

And yes, Advanced Math is brutal. It really dives right in, and the lessons take longer to do.

I'm not at all thinking of skipping any lessons in Algebra 2. We are moving unexepectedly this summer. Dd is anxious to finish all her work prior to the move.

In that case, it probably wouldn't hurt to skip the end of Algebra 1. After all, when did we ever finish books completely in public school? I know I never did. She'll pick up what she missed in Algebra 2.