Menu

AAR Pre-Level 1...is it necessary???

OK, I am about to place my order for AAS (totally thrilled) and AAR Pre-Level 1 (not so sure). I looked at the samples again and I am starting to rethink this one. We have the Sholastic books for each letter (the ones where they put things from each letter into the sound box if you have those). We have a book on phonemic awareness (Struggling Reader) and play those games with DD3. I have OPGTTR for when DD3 seems to be ready to actually read. I have a couple of workbooks I purchased from Seton about the letters (one is from R&S) because DD3 wants to "do school" with DS5. I am starting to think that I have this covered. Please let me know if you think I should still buy AAR or if will just be overkill! Thanks!

Sounds like you have it covered! I haven't really needed a program like that for the two I've taught so far. They picked up on the phonemic awareness on their own, even my speech delayed son. You have plenty of resources if you need a program to teach it, so I would just skip the AAR unless you just really want to play with the zebra puppet (which is cute!). :D

We are using AAR Pre-1 and I do really like it but honestly my son has great phonemic awareness and understands and can rhyme well. There are other things taught through Pre-1 but he truly is doing fine with those and is really ready to start phonics.

I *think* I'm going to sell my AAR so that I have money for other things I need. It's barely used and I HATE to give up Ziggy Zebra but he's beyond it and I need the money. I might see if I can buy just ZZ or find another similar puppet because my son begs to play with him and LOVES when he comes out for lessons.

If anyone wants it used PM me. I'll be forced to make a decision on whether to sell it. :001_unsure:

To answer the OP's question I don't think it's necessary depending on where your child is and whether you have other things that can cover those aspects that AAR covers which it sounds like you do.

Search "folkmanis zebra" on amazon...

We are using AAR Pre-1 and I do really like it but honestly my son has great phonemic awareness and understands and can rhyme well. There are other things taught through Pre-1 but he truly is doing fine with those and is really ready to start phonics.

I *think* I'm going to sell my AAR so that I have money for other things I need. It's barely used and I HATE to give up Ziggy Zebra but he's beyond it and I need the money. I might see if I can buy just ZZ or find another similar puppet because my son begs to play with him and LOVES when he comes out for lessons.

If anyone wants it used PM me. I'll be forced to make a decision on whether to sell it. :001_unsure:

To answer the OP's question I don't think it's necessary depending on where your child is and whether you have other things that can cover those aspects that AAR covers which it sounds like you do.

I am going to use Spalding with my son when he is ready. Since that won't be for a while I did take a brief look at AAR Pre-Level 1. My son at two (27 months to be exact :tongue_smilie:) knows capital and lowercase letters and has started learning sounds. The zebra is cute but pretty pricey to buy a program for a puppet :tongue_smilie:. Here, I bought some of these for my son at Christmas:

Here's a zebra ;)

http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/023115/1305505417-1345299

We have a giraffe, T-Rex and cow because those were some of my son's favorites at the time. I am hoping to make some more or just buy some. IKEA has some glove puppets for a good price also.

In our case I have invested in a Theme-a-saurus book and some books from Pam Schiller. I am also incorporating some Montessori, mainly for life skills. I have a couple of Montessori books and will be getting a couple more. I am also adding some other resources and will just be putting together my own preschool program for my kiddo based on his interests and needs. I am hoping to do this smoothly so that it is more child lead than a program. Anyway, not to influence you and I am sure that it's a fun program for the littles that may need something like it. If your kiddo is beyond it you may want to consider if you want to spend the money, just to use components of it.

Edited by Guest

For us the phonological awareness games are totally worth it, but like you said - you might already be doing some of these things. There are fun games that teach syllable counting, simple blending, rhyming, differentiating between words, sentence length etc. They vary from lesson to lesson, hitting the same skills from different angles. My five-year-old is really benefitting from them, but she has articulation delays, so it might be that she needs extra work in these areas in any case :). I can also be a bit spacey about doing these things unless they are pre-planned and clearly written out!

Wow... those are nice :)! Too bad Rainbow doesn't carry them. I live in Canada and cannot order stuff like that from Amazon. Oh well :tongue_smilie:!

Wow... those are nice :)! Too bad Rainbow doesn't carry them. I live in Canada and cannot order stuff like that from Amazon. Oh well :tongue_smilie:!

I think Folkmanis is Canadian!

Do a google search for "folkmanis zebra canada". The first link is a Canada Post page with itty listed for $16, and below those results is folkmanis.ca. :)

Thanks Amanda Jo! That looks just like the one from AAR. AAR will sell just the puppet but amazon is a couple of dollars cheaper.

Now I have to decide if I want to let go of those awesome hardback books too :001_huh:

AAR is a really nice program and we love it here!

Thanks Amanda Jo! That looks just like the one from AAR. AAR will sell just the puppet but amazon is a couple of dollars cheaper.

Now I have to decide if I want to let go of those awesome hardback books too :001_huh:

AAR is a really nice program and we love it here!

Actually I took a closer look going back and forth and I think the Folkmanis is better made. I am not sure that it is the same puppet but then again you never know.

Also, if you and your family are enjoying it why get rid of it simply because it will not work for others ;). Keep in mind, I did clarify that I have not purchased it. I live in Canada and cannot afford to buy and return materials so I try to really think before placing an order. If I had it and my kiddos loved it, I would keep it :). Just my thoughts anyway!

I think Folkmanis is Canadian!

Do a google search for "folkmanis zebra canada". The first link is a Canada Post page with itty listed for $16, and below those results is folkmanis.ca. :)

Well, aren't you the clever one :D! Not only that but they are local to me here in BC it seems.

http://www.folkmanispuppets.ca/featured_products.html

However, they don't seem to have a location you can just go and pick up your order to avoid shipping and they charge more than Amazon.com for the puppets :confused:. That always kills me! Then again they can't afford to undercut their vendors ;). Anyway, I checked Amazon.ca and they seem to carry some of the puppets at comparable prices to Amazon.com. If it weren't for you post I would not have even looked so thank you for that :).

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Actually I took a closer look going back and forth and I think the Folkmanis is better made. I am not sure that it is the same puppet but then again you never know.

Also, if you and your family are enjoying it why get rid of it simply because it will not work for others ;). Keep in mind, I did clarify that I have not purchased it. I live in Canada and cannot afford to buy and return materials so I try to really think before placing an order. If I had it and my kiddos loved it, I would keep it :). Just my thoughts anyway!

I have the puppet from AAR and Folkmanis (I have 2 preschoolers, need I say more;)) and they are exactly the same.

I have the puppet from AAR and Folkmanis (I have 2 preschoolers, need I say more;)) and they are exactly the same.

Good to know, thanks :). I was wondering about the Amazon pic. You know how you see a pic, order something but it doesn't look exactly like what you saw ;)? It happened to me with a table Puppet Theater I bought. I still like it but it did not look like it did in the pic.

I love how this thread turned into a thread about the zebra! :lol::lol::lol:

Well... you did say you were considering it mostly because of the zebra didn't you :tongue_smilie::lol::lol:?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Good to know, thanks :). I was wondering about the Amazon pic. You know how you see a pic, order something but it doesn't look exactly like what you saw ;)? It happened to me with a table Puppet Theater I bought. I still like it but it did not look like it did in the pic.

You're welcome:001_smile: I totally understand what you are saying! Sometimes I think they put up pictures of different products;) However, in this case it doesn't lie and they are the same puppet.

You're welcome:001_smile: I totally understand what you are saying! Sometimes I think they put up pictures of different products;) However, in this case it doesn't lie and they are the same puppet.

If you notice though the mane in the Amazon pic looks richer :tongue_smilie: and the face looks more detailed. Of course the AAS website's pic has a side view and is not a close up. :lol: Are you laughing at me yet? Not only am I picky when it comes to details but I also sew, knit, crotchet... so I usually notice such details, unless the pic provided does not show the exact product as the item they ship out ;). That was what happened to me with the puppet theater. The frame was the same but the curtain was not. You could see the quality of the curtain in the pic was much better. It was not what was in the box though :glare:!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
If you notice though the mane in the Amazon pic looks richer :tongue_smilie: and the face looks more detailed. Of course the AAS website's pic has a side view and is not a close up. :lol: Are you laughing at me yet? Not only am I picky when it comes to details but I also sew, knit, crotchet... so I usually notice such details, unless the pic provided does not show the exact product as the item they ship out ;). That was what happened to me with the puppet theater. The frame was the same but the curtain was not. You could see the quality of the curtain in the pic was much better. It was not what was in the box though :glare:!

LOL! The picture is the same one from the Folkmanis website. This time, it's the pic from AAS's website that's off as I don't think it does the puppet justice. I think they too should use the pic form Folkmanis.

LOL! The picture is the same one from the Folkmanis website. This time, it's the pic from AAS's website that's off as I don't think it does the puppet justice. I think they too should use the pic form Folkmanis.

Oh cool! Good to know. Yep, the AAS website should include a better picture if the one they have does not do it justice. Sadly Amazon.ca does not carry too many :( but I'll see by Christmas. Some of them are really pricey and I really should just make my own and save some money but I never get around to it, even though I have some books to help. If I don't get around to making any by Christmas, then I will consider perhaps adding a couple to our collection. The ones Rainbow and IKEA carry are not as nice but you can get about 3 for the same price :tongue_smilie:. We shall see!