Menu

Second guessing on spelling...

mom24boys

I have 2 boys that will be in 2nd and 1st next year. I want them to learn the rules of spelling. I have 2 more boys that will come along behind them in a couple years. I was all convinced that I wanted AAS and am in the process of trying to buy it. Now, however, I've seen threads discussing that it is just too much time/effort. Some have suggested "How to teach Spelling" instead. Any others?

My first boy is a "perfect paula" and would do well with workbooks. My second is a "wiggly willy" but he likes writing so he kind of likes workbooks as well.

Help! What should I do? :confused:

OK. Maybe I need some hand holding now (since I'm a newbie) and I should stick with AAS until the next two come along. Then maybe I can move the older two into "How to teach spelling" or some workbook type program to reduce the amount of teaching time required out of me. Would this work? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Another thing to realize is that the program does end... It's not like you'll be teaching all 4 kids spelling everyday until they hit 12th grade. ;) My oldest 2 will be 3 grades apart. I'm not sure when I'll start spelling with #2 yet, but if I started it in first grade, I think my oldest would have already completed all or most of the program by then, so I'd still only be teaching it to one kid. Then the next kid is 2 grades away, so I'll probably be teaching 2 kids at some point, but not forever. Those early levels go kind of fast.

HTTS is supposed to be very similar to AAS, but from what I've read, it's a bit better for older kids. It also isn't an independent workbook program like SWO and others. It still requires a similar amount of teaching time, from what I understand (having researched it on these boards in the past - I have not used it, so my info could be wrong, of course ;)). Any O-G/Spalding/etc. type spelling program is going to be more teacher intensive than a workbook like SWO or R&S Spelling.

But yes, just set the timer for 15 minutes, then stop. That's all you have to do that day for that kid. You might even be able to combine review time with multiple kids, then do the actual new concepts and spelling words/dictation individually.

Start w/ AAS (because its the best ever! :-p ), then if its not a good fit look into changing. Can you spare 15 minutes a day for spelling? It doesn't have to take a bunch of time, you can stop anywhere you want and pick up there the next day.

:iagree:

We use AAS and every time I get a bit weary during the school day I want to jump ship and do something "independent" (that's impossible for my son and spelling right btw). Then I remember why he's behind and how we got to this place and wish and wish that I'd been able to start him from the beginning with AAS and stick with it.

We set a timer and quit when it goes off. At the ages your children are 15 mins is plenty. The 5 year old could do 10 mins even.

My 3 older dc are apart by one grade (twins and dd). When they were younger and I was doing AAS Level 1 with my dd and 2 with my twins, I could spare 15 mins and do those levels separately. At some point I began having less time and the twins got behind. Eventually, I decided to put them together somewhere in the Level 2 book. I've kept them together ever since teaching all 3 dc together. We do the oral stuff and I just use one student materials and take notes on who needs to review certain rules or words. This year when we were starting level 4 and my dc are grades 5th and 4th, we added Megawords and do AAS 2 days a week and Megawords 2 days. I recently tested my dc with an online spelling test and two of them tested in 6th grade and the other in 9th grade (he reads way above his grade) so I don't think teaching the older ones at a level below them has hurt them.

Just wanted to give you something to think about for when they are older and your younger ones are doing school also.

I agree. Sometimes I get the feeling that AAS is too hands-on for me as a teacher, and too time intensive, but I can't find anything as good anywhere else! So I just do it. Right after Bible reading (our first 'subject'), so it doesn't get bumped! I just had to bear down, get it done for fifteen minutes a day, and we're making great strides.