Menu

Khan Academy? Experienced users..need advice on sign-up

fourcatmom

I am really wanting to start my kids using the Khan Academy and don't know how to sign u p the kids. They are both under 13 so you either have to make a FB account or a google account but as soon as you put their correct ages in, it won't let you complete the process. I really don't want a fake FB page out there anyways with their names on it. I have signed up and I am listed as the coach but can't complete the student info. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks In Advance!

On their FAQ page it says the following:

I'm a teacher, coach, or parent, how do I start using the site with my student(s)?

First things first: you need an account, and you need to be signed in on the Khan Academy. So, sign in or sign up. Once you've got an account you can actually start getting students to add you as their coach.

The next step: every student that you want to coach needs an account as well. Students over 13 can sign up for Google or Facebook accounts immediately.

If your students are under 13:

You currently have two options: you can sign your school up for Google Apps for Education, which will help you provide each student with a Google account that can be used with Khan Academy, or you can have your students' parents individually create accounts for each student on either Google or Facebook. We are constantly working to improve this situation, but that's the best we've got at the moment (sorry!).

If you already have Google Apps for Education accounts but aren't able to use them to sign in on the Khan Academy, you might need to upgrade your account.

Once this is done, each student will need to identify you as their coach. There are detailed instructions and screenshots on the Coach page or you can find them here.

ETA: I hope that helps. I just spent the last hour on Khan Academy working on Practice problems. It's been so fun to go back and see where I have holes in my own education before I tackle my children's.

On their FAQ page it says the following:

I'm a teacher, coach, or parent, how do I start using the site with my student(s)?

First things first: you need an account, and you need to be signed in on the Khan Academy. So, sign in or sign up. Once you've got an account you can actually start getting students to add you as their coach.

The next step: every student that you want to coach needs an account as well. Students over 13 can sign up for Google or Facebook accounts immediately.

If your students are under 13:

You currently have two options: you can sign your school up for Google Apps for Education, which will help you provide each student with a Google account that can be used with Khan Academy, or you can have your students' parents individually create accounts for each student on either Google or Facebook. We are constantly working to improve this situation, but that's the best we've got at the moment (sorry!).

If you already have Google Apps for Education accounts but aren't able to use them to sign in on the Khan Academy, you might need to upgrade your account.

Once this is done, each student will need to identify you as their coach. There are detailed instructions and screenshots on the Coach page or you can find them here.

ETA: I hope that helps. I just spent the last hour on Khan Academy working on Practice problems. It's been so fun to go back and see where I have holes in my own education before I tackle my children's.

Thank You. I have tried all those things and you have to be 18 to get a google account and 13 for a facebook account. I really don't want my child's profile on FB at age 9 and I can't seem to get around the google age...usually these kinds of things are not a problem for me. I was able to link my FB page and it says I can add students or a coach to my page but you have to follow those instructions and it's not working???

Thank You. I have tried all those things and you have to be 18 to get a google account and 13 for a facebook account. I really don't want my child's profile on FB at age 9 and I can't seem to get around the google age...usually these kinds of things are not a problem for me. I was able to link my FB page and it says I can add students or a coach to my page but you have to follow those instructions and it's not working???

Can you sign up for multiple google accounts under your name and assign one to each child?

I made multiple google accounts for myself and gave one to each of my kids.

It was the easiest, least dishonest way I could figure out.

:iagree: Same here. I have two google accounts in my name. One is for ds for Khan Academy.

I'm not a computer whiz here, and this is just a guess... but maybe google put a cookie on your computer that identifies you as a minor since your already tried making an account as a minor. kwim? Can you clear your cookies or cache, then try again?