Menu

Kindle edition or hardcover of SWB books?

I'm thinking about buying History of the Ancient World and History of the Medieval World. But I can't make up my mind whether to by kindle or hard cover. We're starting the 4 year rotation again in the fall so I figure I can buy the Ancient World and read it this summer and brush up on my knowledge of the subject.

If I buy the kindle edition, I'm more likely to take it on our trips and such to read. (2 trips to the beach. One from NC to IL and back. lots of hours in the car!) But if I buy the hardback, I'm more likely to coordinate it to our studies, see how it lines up with TOG and possibly let the kids read it for school. I don't write in books in general so that's not an issue. The two books together would cost $7-8 more, but would be enough that shipping would be free.

Which would you do? Oh, not that this matters, but if I buy the kindle edition, it would be the first book I buy for my kindle. All the others were free!

Not a clear answer, but some thoughts:

It's a large-ish book, so for convenience of reading, the kindle would be great. But there are lots of notes that might not necessarily transfer well onto the kindle.

I would prefer to have it in hand so that I could incorporate it into history lessons, but for sitting and reading for pleasure, it would be the kindle.

I'm no help!

If it's more likely to get read, I'd go for Kindle. They're big books and I can't see myself wanting to take one of them to the beach. Your kids will be able to read off the Kindle for school although it will be a bit more difficult to flip through pages.

You asked what *I* would do, and honestly, I'd buy it for Kindle then search on the FSBoards here and buy a used printed copy. :o I love SWB's books!

I bought the Kindle edition of the Ancients book and plan to buy the second volume soon.

The footnotes are only confusing at the beginning of the book, when the numbering makes it hard to figure out which are content footnotes (which I read) and which are source footnotes (which I typically don't). Since the content notes are numbered for the book and the source footnotes are numbered per chapter, once you see double-digit note numbers you know those are content notes.

I apologize if that paragraph makes no sense. It's been a long week and I'm muddle-headed.

I find the Kindle book to be easy to page through if I want to go back to look at a map or re-read something I read earlier.

It was great to be able to pack this along with my more typical vacation reading.