Menu

Apologia Flying Creatures questions

DawnM

We are using this for the current school year. It's geared towards K-6th grade. I am using it with my K, 2nd, and 4th grade students. My 2nd & 4th grade kids have the notebooks (journaling pages) and I expect more of my 4th grade student than of my 2nd. My K just listens and does the activities with us, or does a collage or picture while the older ones are doing the notebook.

They enjoy the notebook. I've not seen or done the lapbook pages, so can't offer any opinions on that.

Thank you! I will take a look....I think I have seen these before a long time ago.

Dawn

Jeannie Fulbright has free notebooking pages on her site. I'm sure the ones you pay for are better, but these served us well. http://www.jeanniefulbright.com/notebook-pages

We easily completed 2 books in a year, including the activities and notebooking.

I'm just starting this with my 2nd, 4th, and 6th graders. I bought the journal for the older two. I bought a lapbook CD for the 2nd grader - figuring I'll just do a little of that with her. It probably wasn't necessary - but it is our first time with Apologia elementary and I wanted to try it out.

The journal looks great! There is a schedule - very helpful - as well as lab pages, copywork, and places for folded books, which are in the back of the journal. The little folded books are very nice and full color. (So, I don't think you will need both the lapbook CD and the journal, since there are these little books in the journal itself.)

I think your 13 yo would learn a lot from the program, but I would recommend using one of the junior high Apologia courses instead. They are much fuller and better preparation for high school.

Hope that helps!

Now I am wondering if it is too young for my older boys.....hmmmm.....

You could always add things or do extra activities if you think it's not enough. I don't require my 4th grader to do all that is in the notebook. I think it's fine for up to 6th grade, or 7th if he/she is not ready to do the general science independently. My daughter (now 8th grade) did the general science last year and the physical science w/lab this year, but enjoyed listening and reading the flying creatures with us. It is really interesting, and I'm sure they would learn something. Whether it would be enough would be something you'd have to decide.

I think you can see sample pages on Amazon. If not there, you could do a google search and I know there is some website that lets you see sample pages of that book. (The table of contents and some of the readings). I believe Apologia says that the books are written at a 4th grade reading level. My boys (2nd & 4th) both like to take turns reading aloud from it.

They have a website for extra materials if you are interested in adding more to it or going more in depth.

We just started this a couple of weeks ago. I was going to wait until the fall, but it's hard to study birds and insects in the fall and winter. Plus, it's really just that good.

I bought the notebook for my 4th grader and it is very helpful. It has a schedule and keeps us on target. We are doing science 4 days a week and will likely do the Zoology 2 over the summer, too.

I downloaded the free notebooking pages for my 1st grader, but he hasn't done much. I feel it's over his head, too. I intend to get him and his brother each their own notebook and do this curriculum again with the boys together when they are older. (My youngest will be 5 in September and starting Kindergarten with me at that time.)

It's perfect for my 4th grader. She is having a good time with it. She is spontaneously bird watching and was thrilled to spot the first hummingbirds of the season in our backyard this afternoon. (I texted Grandma and she was jealous! :D )

We used this for 1 year with K, 1, and 2nd graders. They didn't grasp all of it, especially at the beginning classifications. They did retain a lot of info, especially about birds. We did not buy anything other than the book. I've heard a lot of great things about the journals, though. I just printed off and made up my own things for lapbooks that we did for the bird section, and insect section. My oldest 2 are going to be taking Zoology 2 at a co-op next year, and they need the notebook for the class.