Menu

SOTW with 2nd and 3rd grader?

parias1126

I have gotten so slack on History. It always gets pushed aside. I plan to stick with it this coming year for 2nd and 3rd grade. Would you recommend I use SOTW 1 with my 7 and 9 yr old or start with the grade appropriate level of SOTW according to the WTM cycle? I would much rather keep them together as it is much easier that way.

My 2 cents.. I think I would go ahead and put them in SOTW3 next year. The reason is because the work really changes in the A.G. for SOTW 4 the next year. I would want my kids to have a year to enjoy history, get used to narrations and be ready to do the timelining and outlining coming up in 4. If you start with SOTW1, the activities are a lot of fun, and probably right on target for for 2nd and 3rd grade. But the next year, if you are sticking with WTM methods you would be in SOTW2, when your 4th grader could be getting ready for logic stage with SOTW4 A.G.

That is why I would want to, so we weren't jumping into logic stage history outlining in 5th grade w/out the practice of SOTW4.

Also SOTW 3 has a lot of typical elem. info that I am glad to finally get to with my children: the conquistadors, explorers, American Revolution and Constitution. It has been a great year.

(But of course, so was SOTW 1!!) Either way you will have a great history year.

Guest jab300

We used SOTW 1 with 4th and 1st grade this year and it's been great...fun for them and easy for me. I think they enjoyed having the Usborne Internet Linked World History supplement the most, with the extra activities suggestions in the AB coming in a close second.

I would start with 1, in fact I think the changes that are required for 4 are much better for 5th grade, and it won't matter if you wait until 6th to start outlining with the older one. Or if you do start in 5th for 6th you'll already have the answers for his outlines ;), he'll just do the whole things instead of filling in the blanks.

I used SOTW 1 for my 4th and 5th graders this year and it worked great!

It was the second time we started the rotation and for my little ones I am not going to start SOTW until they are in 3rd grade.