Menu

Saxon Questions

My son is finishing 8/7 Do I put him in Algebra 1 or Algebra 1/2? I understand that the 1/2 comes first. But, really what do you learn in 1/2 that you aren't getting in one. I need to purchase these and I don't want to bore him. Oh, one more thing, my son is gifted in math. It comes extremely easy for him. He is only 11 so I think he is doing well.

Edited by hsmykids

Which edition of Saxon 87 is he using? If it's a 2nd edition or later, and he's doing better than 80% average on the tests, he's ready for Algebra 1 when he finishes Saxon 87. :001_smile: If you have any doubt, you can always run through Saxon Algebra 1/2 first.

As far as the differences, Algebra 1/2 is trickier than 87 and requires more attention to detail, in my experience. Instead of 804 X 54, it has 804,560 X 5436. If a child isn't ready to pay attention to details, they'll struggle with Algebra 1/2.

HTH :001_smile:

I would not put a gifted math student who has done very well with 8/7 through the torture of repeating the material in algebra 1/2. He's ready for algebra 1 and will likely do very well. :) My dd was 10 when she finished 8/7, and I wondered the same thing. I called Saxon and they suggested going to algebra 1. I gave my dd, who also wanted to go to algebra, the option of dropping it at any point and doing 1/2 instead. 8/7 is great prep for algebra! :)

The only point that I thought was weak in 8/7 was coming up with the equation for slope intercept. It was good on taking the equation and graphing it, but not on the reverse. This will be taught again in better detail in algebra.

Thank you good to know. I think maybe your right. He already says he is bored with 8/7 but I don't want to move to fast. I need to buy the next one and was unsure what to get. This has helped out a lot.

Has he completed 8/7? My dd found the last 30 or so chapters anything but boring as that was all completely new content. :)