Menu

Pet Allergies..

So, I'm allergic to well, dogs, cats, etc.

So, my dad and stepmom announced this morning they are getting a hypoallergic dog to replace their beagle that died last week. I was VERY VERY allergic to that beagle.

No such thing as a Hypoallergenic Dog, IMO. But what do I do know.

I guess I'll never be able to visit them. I'm an hour and half away, and I'm not going to be that far from a shower! They also have carpets, and a mold problem, compounding the problem farther.

My sister and brother have cats, and well visiting them is out too, and I'm the only one who doesn't live in the good old hometown, so it would be easier if I were the one to travel.

I swore up and down and a child every time we went to visit someone (and everyone has a pet) that when I grew up I would NEVER visit someone with pets. So, if I stick to this, which I don't entirely, I can only visit my mom. (And my mom isn't really someone, one wants to visit).

Sorry for the vent, but I told them all along I wouldn't be visiting if they got another dog...and I they think I will if its hypoallergenic. I'm moody, so I was on the verge of tears anyway.

My dd is also very allergic to dogs. In fact, she was hospitalized last month for allergy induced Asthma after being around SILs pug. However, my parents have a "hypoallergenic" dog (1/2 shi tsu, 1/2 poodle) and we are over there all the time with no issue. Maybe that will be the case for you:grouphug:

Honestly (gently) I wouldn't expect others to never get pets because of your allergies. I think the fact that they chose a hypoallergenic dog means they ARE trying. I am also 1 1/2 hours from my parents, which means I see them a few times a month (or less during soccer season.) I wouldn't expect them to be pet free for that. If you were living with them, it would be different.

However, if it sets off your allergies anyway, (and I have also heard that there isn't a truly hypoallergenic dog) then I would certainly make that clear to them.

Does it set off your allergies just to be in the house where the pet lives, or does keeping the animal away help? Can you take an anti-histamine to get through a short visit?

If you can't even go in the house, either they can come visit you or you can pick neutral sites to go visit them. Maybe everyone could meet at a park for a nice picnic, etc... or meet at a family-friendly restaraunt.

While I wouldn't expect others to be pet free, I would hope that they would work around allergies. Come visit you, keep the pet away from you, visit at neutral sites, etc.... If they aren't even willing to do that, I don't know what to suggest.

Edited by snickelfritz

It sounds like you want them to choose you over having a pet. I can totally get that - if they decide to get another dog, they are rejecting you.

I don't think it has to be that extreme, though. If they get a new dog and it bothers you (even "hypoallergenic" ones make my dd itch), then just meet them at neutral locations - restaurants, parks, etc. Many folks are allergic to dogs and cats, it's pretty common here and we just meet up somewhere else. Restaurants with "play places" and free coffee refills are my favorite.

There is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog, I agree. On the other hand, we did find that the Shih-Tzu works for us. It does not work for every single person though. DD has a friend who cannot tolerate our Shih-Tzu (although I suspect she's reacting to the dust in our house, more than the Shih-Tzu), and DD cannot tolerate a poodle (neither can I btw). Both breeds are considered hypoallergenic, yet we react differently.

Would your parents be amenable to the idea that you can suggest dog breeds? Try and find a dog breed that you can tolerate, maybe? We were very surprised when DD didn't react to the Shih-Tzu. We never expected to find a breed we could tolerate, and we were not looking.

On days where we are very tired, we react to our dog. But not on a daily basis.

Good luck to you!

So, I'm allergic to well, dogs, cats, etc.

So, my dad and stepmom announced this morning they are getting a hypoallergic dog to replace their beagle that died last week. I was VERY VERY allergic to that beagle.

No such thing as a Hypoallergenic Dog, IMO. But what do I do know.

Maybe you will not be allergic to the dog. My stepmother and half sister are both highly allergic to just about everything known to mankind, including dogs. Except that they are not allergic to the dog they have now -- a Shih Tzu -- which was given to my half sister by her husband (now ex). Neither of them have ever had even a single symptom with this dog, and they've had it for at least 6 years now.

Our Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier is a hypoallergenic dog. The breeder sells a lot of them to people who are highly allergic to dogs, but who do not happen to be allergic to these. Their grandchildren are very much allergic to dogs, which is how they got involved in breeding Wheatens, in particular. They also have a couple of Coton de Tulears, another hypoallergenic breed, and their grandchildren aren't allergic to them either.

I don't know how severe or manageable your allergies are, but if you can take the risk, perhaps you could go with your dad and stepmother to look at purebred hypoallergenic puppies. When we were buying Aidan, a couple came by with their son, who desperately wanted a dog, although he was highly allergic to them. He played with the puppies and adult dogs for about an hour, and then they left for several hours to see if he would develop allergy symptoms. All I know is that he did not while he was there, which seemed to me to be a good sign.

Were I you, I would not visit mixed breed "designer" dogs which are touted as being hypoallergenic. With some of these mixes, like the labradoodle, there is no guarantee the puppies will be hypoallergenic, and you want to minimize your risk.

Edited by RoughCollie

Thanks everyone. I just need to vent. My dad called me all excited that we'd be able to visit. But if they are getting a new dog we'll keep the status quo. They are not all that old, but I think they we're hoping we'd do more of the driving. I don't know how he feels, he had to keep the news that I won't be visiting from her as to not to upset her on Mother's day. (Although, I try to warn her last year when she started talking about getting a new dog.)

Holidays are kinda sad, because everyone has to come here, and it would be nice if we go there. Not everyone can make it out here. No big deal. I miss out a lot I'm used to it. Now when my daughter is grown, if she decides to get pets, I'll be heartbroken, but I try not to borrow trouble.