Menu

Guess what one of my kids just found?

My 15 yo and 12 yo are cleaning out the garage and in a box of Christmas decorations they found and unopened mail package with a christmas gift inside! I must of bought this online and forgot @ it. The date on the postage is October 21, 2005! I have no idea which kid I bought it for and now they all want it LOL.

I guess I should have titled this, Guess what TWO of my kids found. DOI me.

My 15 yo and 12 yo are cleaning out the garage and in a box of Christmas decorations they found and unopened mail package with a christmas gift inside! I must of bought this online and forgot @ it. The date on the postage is October 21, 2005! I have no idea which kid I bought it for and now they all want it LOL.

This made me think of a story. When I was a little girl, gift-giving was a low-key affair. Other than the standard special days (birthday and Christmas) we didn't get a lot of extras. When I was five or so, I was sitting on a chair next to a closet ~ I think my mom was trimming my hair. The closet door was open, and she (or I? or both of us?) looked up and saw a colorful little box sitting on the shelf. She realized she'd forgotten to give this to me on my last birthday. It was sewing cards ~ cards in the shape of clouds. The kind of thing that a child "sews" with thread, if you kwim, and it ultimately was strung together to be a mobile.

I was so thrilled by those simple sewing cards! The excitement of getting a gift on just any old day! Couldn't tell you one single other gift I received in my early childhood, but that cloud mobile sticks in my mind clear as a bell.

I'm glad I read your post. I love that memory. Maybe that's how your kids will look back on the Oregon Trail 5th edition.:)