Menu

Which CLE Reading Level for a young but advanced reader?

I didn't know there was such a thing as a reading curriculum until I read a recent thread and have decided to try one. Since most people seem happy with CLE Reading, I would like to know which level to order if a young child (6 soon) is reading books such as the Hobbit, Harry Potter, Famous Men Series (but who is also happy reading picture books) and who is currently using AAS3. Do I go with grade level or with a slightly higher level to avoid boredom?

I'd skip it (and did after trying level 100).

Here's the thing... To have the reading level be appropriate, you'd be working at a literary analysis level above that which a first grader needs. If you get a lower level, the reading is easy and the workbook is busywork (what we experienced).

Just read good books. You have plenty of years to learn literary terms. Here's a list of what SWB recommends teaching during grades 1-4:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/what-is-literary-analysis-and-when-to-teach-it/

Would it be ok to say that I would like some independent, productive busywork :D? I'm with her for every subject and was hoping to give myself a break, by having her read while learning something from a workbook that teaches comprehension skills, literary analysis and vocabulary. Maybe not CLE, but some other curriculum?

Just read good books. You have plenty of years to learn literary terms. Here's a list of what SWB recommends teaching during grades 1-4:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/what-is-literary-analysis-and-when-to-teach-it/

Thank you for the link. I had forgotten about this.

My problem is that I've just been noticing more experienced homeschoolers using a reading curriculum in K-4 so I think I have to get one too, and yet SWB presents it differently.

If you're wanting to do one just because others are (and really, I think it's a small number that use one prior to 4th grade), I wouldn't do it. If you really think your child needs to know those literary terms and such, then sure, go ahead. :) But I think with any "reading program" like that, you're going to run into the same issue - either having to use a lower grade level of reading OR expecting logic stage literary analysis out of a young grammar stage student. That's the downside to having an accelerated reader. ;)

What about just having her read by herself? My son has "reading time" - actually 2 of them. The first one, he reads chapters from a good chapter book that I have assigned. This book is usually roughly at or just above his current level of reading (of course, that gets more difficult as they soar ahead... thankfully, mine is at the 4th-5th grade level, and there is plenty for him to read at that level). I have him read one page out loud to me, then I have him read the rest to himself. I can then go off and do whatever I want. :D The second reading time is where he gets to pick what he reads, but it must be off the library shelf (or can be his history/science books, as he's recently gotten addicted to SOTW). These books will be good books, but often below his reading level - like 3rd grade science readers, Amelia Bedelia books, etc. They're easy to read, but fun. He reads these for 20-30 minutes while I put his baby brother down for a nap.

I don't think you need a workbook to make "reading" independent. Also, I find that I still need to read directions for workbooks, even though my son is perfectly capable of reading the directions himself. :tongue_smilie: It's just an age thing, and he will grow out of it, but for now, a workbook doesn't make things independent around here. Your child may be different about that though. :)

I'd skip the CLE reading program if I were you. Reading comprehension can be focused on in regular books (you could get a literature guide for questions and activities) or in the context of history or science.

My only other thought would be Galore Park Jr. English 1 since it has authentic texts, comprehension and vocabulary exercises and also some focus on writing mechanics. http://www.galorepark.co.uk/product/parents/111/junior-english-book-1.html

Thank you everyone for helping me through this decision. I'm holding it off for now because I don't want to add another phonics program (happy with AAS) and I think the work required for Grade 4 may not be appropriate for her at this moment. Maybe next year I'll reconsider or see what wiser moms here do :D.