Menu

FLL4 -- Will I like it?

mommyto4

I just received FLL4 in the mail, and after looking it over, I am unsure if we will like it. We did Grammar Island this year, but I thought we would try FLL4 next.

Could someone just tell me that they like FLL4 and it works? I am afraid it is too dry for my son. I am presently using FLL1&2 with my youngest and we do like that.

Thanks!

I loved using FLL4 (used 2 years ago with oldest, this year with youngest). I need a comprehensive program for grammar, as this is not my strong area. I even like that it is scripted! My kids have been so/so with it, but my oldest changed to "growing with grammar" this year for 6th, and hasn't been thrilled with that either. I pay more attention to what I need and want for the younger grades, since I need to feel comfortable teaching it. From a teaching perspective I have loved these programs!

I loved using FLL 4 with ds two years ago. I will start it again with dd this fall. We skipped the dictation, narration, and poem memorization, because we do those on our own. The lessons are short and clear, which is just what I want in a grammar lesson! Usually I read ahead and paraphrase the scripting.

We have moved on to R & S 5 this year, and I'm so glad we did all the memorizing of lists and definitions in FLL. It was a great foundation!

It's not as pretty and entertaining as the MCT books, but it is easy to use, clear, and highly effective. There is a ton of diagramming (unlike the 4 level analysis). If your child learns grammar fairly easily it should not take too long for each lesson (half an hour or less). If your child has never done poem memorization some of the poems are quite long and they may be challenging and possibly frustrating. One way to deal with that is to not do them, or choose other poems.

:iagree: We don't memorize most of the poems, just some of them.