Menu

Spanish Curriculum....Opinions Needed

We are looking for a Spanish curriculum (I think....it's going to be that or French)...

Anyway, we used Rosetta Stone for Latin and I was not entirely satisfied. So I'm not sure that's what I want her to use for Spanish. I want something that is going to really prepare her for a college class should she need to continue Spanish in college and I'm not sure that Rosetta Stone will fullfill those needs in terms of needing to write out grammatically correct sentences, etc. which she WOULD need to do in a college course. I understand the philosophy of Rosetta Stone, so please don't try to talk me into this....I'm looking to see what other curriculums out there are highly recommended so that I can compare and then make my final decision after viewing the others. So with that said, what other curriculums out there for Spanish (or French) have people liked and why?

My oldest has done SOS Spanish I and about 3/4 of Spanish II so far. He will take Spanish at the CC in the fall. I'll let you know, but I think it will have prepared him well.

My younger one did most of Secondary Spanish and about 1/2 of SOS Spanish I. We'll see how he does.

Christine

DD is doing Visual Link Spanish 1 and really likes it. She's learned a lot, and is constructing sentences, etc. We have the VL 2 and 3 for her to move on to once she's done. I think it's definitely worth a credit and is preparing her well!

Visual Link has many languages, including French.

Christine,

What year SOS Spanish 2 do you have? Spanish 1(2009 version) worked very well for us, but we are 3 Units into Spanish 2(2010) and I don't like it. I don't feel like the questions test the new material well (if at all some times) and there are so many questions about cultural/food/education/geography/history of the South American countries. I don't mind that info being in there as a way to use the language, but I want the test/quizzes/lessons to mainly test knowledge of the language. Just curious about your opinion.