Menu

Need help finding LA for 3rd grade

(I will cross-post this in the special needs area).

My DD (8) has dysgraphia, ADHD and is a struggling reader (reading at beginning 2nd grade level). She's also very bright and very verbal. Definitely an auditory learner. I read to her a ton and she loves it. She also likes oral work (since her fine motor skills are poor).

I bought Sonlight LA 3 but it's not going to work for us this year (hopefully it will for 4th grade). The writing expected from the student is way too complicated and advanced.

We'll be doing MCP Phonics C next year. It's been working fine for us.

We're doing CLE 200 right now. My daughter really does not like it. I don't like the religious references. We are Christian but it just doesn't fit. I like the idea of a workbook but I'm not sure we'll continue with this one. Anything secular similar to this?

I like the vintage texts. Right now we're doing With Pencil and Pen and I'm thinking of moving to Sheldon's Primary Language Lessons. Anyone have experience with Sheldon's PLL?

I'm just a little lost, to be honest. Anyone have ideas for LA that would not be terribly writing intensive (we write across the curriculum anyway), interesting and not overly religious?

Edited to add: Mostly looking for writing and grammar recommendations. Spelling would be great, too. Thanks!

Edited by mamatohaleybug

I'm a little off today, so bear with me. I have some questions:D.

You have phonics for next year, but you're looking for writing? What else are you looking for in a LA program? Are you looking for all-inclusive like Sonlight is? Are you using Sonlight Core 3 for History?

Dorinda

Great! So, since your dd is dysgraphic, you should definitely start cursive if you haven't already. We did HWT and it was PERFECT for my dysgraphic dd.

As for writing, grammar and spelling, we struggled with that too.

Spelling - We tried Spelling Power, but dd has a photographic memory and SP was frustrating for us. If your dd isn't spelling well, I could see using SP and doing it all orally at first.

Grammar - We did Rod and Staff orally for the 2nd half of 3rd grade, and did really well. We tried A Beka for the first half and it was a bomb for us (all workbook). Another option is to do FLL 1 and 2 since most of it is oral. If she's beyond FLL, try PLL. We did FLL for 1st and 2nd, tried PLL, and my oldest didn't go for it, but your dd might! I think the reason PLL wasn't appealing in our home was my girls just wanted to get grammar "done." That's why the solution was R&S. We did everything orally or on the white-board.

Writing - We worked on paragraphs and that was it, and ONLY after dd had completed the cursive program from HWT. VERY simple paragraph formation. I was concerned, but let me tell you, dd is shaping up to be an EXCELLENT writer. She struggled with narration until this year, so WWE was frustrating to her. You might start there though. You could write everything for her since the fine motor skills are still working themselves out.

HTH!

I've been where you're at! It's still a struggle, but only because I'm the Left-brained, public school Mom:D. I'm learning!

Blessings!

Dorinda

PS Dianne Craft has been a HUGE help to us thinking "outside the box" regarding our oldest. Tool around her website and read her articles. You won't be sorry.:001_smile:

Can your DD copy a 3-5 word sentence at least somewhat comfortably (or without tears)? If so, have you looked at WWE for writing? I think if you used WWE1 it would work nicely for a gentle intro to writing for someone with her needs. The copywork sentences and literature excerpts are from classic literature- high quality, wonderful, very engaging to hear read aloud.

And it's a workbook/open-and-go which is nice for mom. :)

(I will cross-post this in the special needs area).

My DD (8) has dysgraphia, ADHD and is a struggling reader (reading at beginning 2nd grade level). She's also very bright and very verbal. Definitely an auditory learner. I read to her a ton and she loves it. She also likes oral work (since her fine motor skills are poor).

I bought Sonlight LA 3 but it's not going to work for us this year (hopefully it will for 4th grade). The writing expected from the student is way too complicated and advanced.

We'll be doing MCP Phonics C next year. It's been working fine for us.

We're doing CLE 200 right now. My daughter really does not like it. I don't like the religious references. We are Christian but it just doesn't fit. I like the idea of a workbook but I'm not sure we'll continue with this one. Anything secular similar to this?

I like the vintage texts. Right now we're doing With Pencil and Pen and I'm thinking of moving to Sheldon's Primary Language Lessons. Anyone have experience with Sheldon's PLL?

I'm just a little lost, to be honest. Anyone have ideas for LA that would not be terribly writing intensive (we write across the curriculum anyway), interesting and not overly religious?

Edited to add: Mostly looking for writing and grammar recommendations. Spelling would be great, too. Thanks!

Copying sentences is actually harder than making up her own sentences because she also has some vision/tracking issues (copywork and dictation have been hard for her). I'd like to move beyond too much copywork and toward being able to better write her own thoughts. She can already write a 5 sentence paragraph really well. She does journaling and creative writing every day and does well when filling in/narrating her workbooks (specifically her Elemental Science book - she is quite good at this). We've spent all year making an animal book where she has to write facts about the animals and draw a picture. This has realy helped her writing skills and confidence.

So, while she reads on the lower level for her grade, her writing is pretty good. I'd like to encourage more creative writing and focus on grammar.

Still think WWE1 is a good idea? I haven't seen details on what it is.

Dorinda - Thanks for the link. Checking it out now. :)

Copying sentences is actually harder than making up her own sentences because she also has some vision/tracking issues (copywork and dictation have been hard for her). I'd like to move beyond too much copywork and toward being able to better write her own thoughts. She can already write a 5 sentence paragraph really well. She does journaling and creative writing every day and does well when filling in/narrating her workbooks (specifically her Elemental Science book - she is quite good at this). We've spent all year making an animal book where she has to write facts about the animals and draw a picture. This has realy helped her writing skills and confidence.

So, while she reads on the lower level for her grade, her writing is pretty good. I'd like to encourage more creative writing and focus on grammar.

Still think WWE1 is a good idea? I haven't seen details on what it is.

Dorinda - Thanks for the link. Checking it out now. :)

You can see samples of WWE on Peacehill Press' website. It's hard to say whether it will help her or not. We bought it to work on Narration, copywork and dictation, and she just became more frustrated. It did not help us at all. However, there are literally hundreds of posts on these forums where just the opposite is true. I'd say, buy it used, give it a try, and if you're getting no where after a couple of months, move on to something else. If you're seeing progress and she doesn't hate it (she doesn't have to love it :lol:), keep going.

Blessings!

Dorinda

I would check out FLL2 if she likes oral work and is reading at a second grade level. Or maybe level 3. We aren't that far yet so I can't speak as to how much writing is involved.

How about Writing Strands for creative writing?

Edited by mamachanse

Verticy Learning is the only special needs provider there is. they have all you are looking for BUT it is expensive. Financial aid is available even if you are buying pieces to use.

http://www.verticylearning.org/

From your discription, this might be the best route to go.

Have you checked out All About Spelling? It too works well for children who learn differently - mainly because of the multi-sensory approach (visual, kinesthetic, and audio). I'm thinking you could modify it a bit and do most of the spelling with the tiles, and not so much written work. You normally teach the concepts with tiles that you move by hand (no writing) and then your child builds with tiles too. Then there is dictation of words, phrases, and sentences, but you could choose how much of this to do. You could just use it with the tiles as more of a concept to spelling list sort of program if you left off the dictation.